34. Adam

Gone.

   She's gone.

   She doesn't want to be mine.

   Ours.

   She doesn't want to be ours.

   She doesn't want to be part of the family. And all I can do is accept that.

   I heard that she doesn't have friends at school, so I thought that she could turn to us: her family. But no. We're not family to her.

   If she doesn't have friends or family, who does she have? No one?

   I've left her alone for a while. I might as well see her, even if she doesn't feel the same.

   I slowly open the door. She immediately looks up from her bed. I could tell she was crying.

"I'm... I'm sorry."  She mumbles.

"Do you actually feel that way though?" I ask, moving myself to the middle of the room.

   She becomes quiet for a while.

"I don't know." She finally says.

"Tell me why."

"You... I-I... we're just... not related."

   I sigh. "Can I give you my opinion?"

"Sure."

"Families don't have to be related. This family. It's what makes us unique. You're unique. Sammy, you're so..."

"What? I'm what?"

"You're so adventurous, caring, and creative. It made me so honored to call you mine. And now... I don't know what to do. I want you to be part of this family. And like I said, families don't have to be related. Some people consider friends as their family, if you didn't know that."

"But you guys are more than friends to me."

"Well..." I take a moment to think about what I said.

   Sammy is adopted.

   But Sammy is not family.

   Sammy is not a friend, either...

   What is she?

   I keep thinking. Then I look at her. For a while, actually.

"Then Sammy..." I say, genuinely concerned, confused, interested, "...What's holding you back?"

"I know I've lived here a long time, but I still don't know you very well. All of you."

"Okay." I nod.

"So tell me everything. Start from the beginning."

   I take a deep breath, letting the memories fill inside my head. The good ones, the bad ones, and the ones in between.

"You sure?" I ask her.

   She nods.

"Okay." I chuckle, "Let's start from the beginning."