9. Winter

I decided to take my mind off of Sammy's business, like she said, and focus on me. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe I should try to talk to him; but that's as far as I'm going. I don't feel ready to go any farther.

  We were close, me and my dad. Then I mentioned mom only once, then he started being more of a quiet person. He'd be less social. To everyone. He'd isolate himself in his room. Then one day, he told me what I thought was the truth:

"Hey buddy. Your mom and I... didn't really get along. And she won't live here anymore. She's gonna live with one of her friends for a while. But she's not too far, through. Somewhere in Delaware I think..." (I had no idea where the hell Delaware was, since I was only five) "She needs some space. From me, from everyone. Sadly... even you."

   I don't remember my mom too well. She's kind of like a faint memory. Very faint. I just remember a woman picking me up and being very happy, laughing, always sitting next to dad. She'd look at me, then him, and then smile at each other. That's all I remember. But now some other memories are coming back to me. Some.

   But what my dad said to me was the lie. Uncle Jack was there when it happened. He must've not known that dad would say that, because right after, he pulled him aside. I remember the conversation, because I followed them. They went into dad's room. The door was closed, so I pressed my ear against it to hear what they were saying.

"What?"

"Are you fucking crazy?! Why?! Why would you say that to him?"

"He's not ready."

"Then you can tell him later, not now! Do you know what you just did? Why are you lying, Ryan? Why?"

   Uncle Jack overreacts a lot. Even still to this day.

"I... I..."

"Ryan. You're not thinking straight. How do you think everyone is gonna react to this? Emma? Mac? Adam?"

   Dad paused.

"Just... just keep quiet about it, okay? And if the others find out about it, tell them to keep quiet too."

   Jack sighed, "I can't believe I'm saying this but... okay."

   I didn't understand what they were talking about, not at that time. Now it all makes sense. I found out. I know why he lied. I wasn't ready. I really wasn't. But as Uncle Jack said, he could have told me the truth later. So I guess I don't know why...