#63 - The Avengers (AU) (Part IV)

Chapter 63 - The Avengers (AU) (Part IV)
published: Monday, 20 July 2020

List of added characters:
Phil Coulson: Will Solace

—*—

"Happy birthday!" Percy's teammates chorused as he stumbled into the kitchen.

"Birthday greetings, Man of Iron!" Jason boomed, his rumbling chuckle filling the room as he got out of Percy's way to the coffee machine.

"That thing is acidic enough to burn a hole in your stomach," Hazel said accusatorially as he downed the triple espresso.

"It's black as my soul," Percy grumbled.

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "So, a glass of warm milk, then?"

"Shut up," Percy groaned. But he couldn't find it in himself to really be mad, because Annabeth looked significantly better than yesterday. Memorial Day had taken its toll on her, but Percy was glad to see her back to her usual lively self.

"What are you doing for your birthday?" Leo asked.

Percy pursed his lips. "Well, seeing as during my last birthday, I thought I was going to die, I plan to just appreciate that I'm still here." The bitter coffee jolted his senses.

"Percy Jackson missing an opportunity to throw a party?" Frank feigned disbelief.

Public persona, Percy wanted to remind them. "All my party habits were knocked out of me after college," he pulled a face. "Had so many bad experiences that I grew out of it."

The day was uneventful. As a special gift, Piper cancelled all his meetings and gave him the day off. Grover's gift arrived in the mail — a terrible scrapbook that was probably meant as a joke, though Percy appreciated it.

Percy was looking forward to spending the day surrounded by his trusty bots and JARVIS, but when dinner swung around, a very irritating archer started rapping on his door until he came up.

The kitchen was in utter chaos, and Percy would never have admitted it, but there was nowhere else he'd rather be. Leo, who was usually docile and calm, had taken charge of the stoves and was frantically fanning out stray flames.

Jason's hair was singed at the ends, and Percy suggested a shorter haircut, which the god responded to with a derisive snort.

"No one is allowed to touch my hair," Jason declared sternly, eyeing Percy suspiciously.

Percy's jaw dropped when he saw Annabeth walk into the room. "Oh my God, what are you wearing?"

"I found it with a bunch of stuff in the cabinets," Annabeth protested sullenly. "There weren't any others." The apron she wore was red and blue, with white stripes and a gold star in the centre.

Hazel smirked. "Why do you even have a Captain America apron?"

Percy scratched the back of his head. "I honestly have no idea. I think I bought it for Grover as a joke." He flashed Annabeth a mischievous grin. "You know, he practically hero worships you."

"Oh, he'd get along well with Will," Frank almost cackled.

"I think I should introduce them," Percy mused as he slid into one of the seats.

Annabeth had gone red to match her apron. "Please don't." Will Solace was Frank and Hazel's handler at S.H.I.E.L.D. and a huge fan of Captain America.

Annabeth had told him about the whole "I watched you while you were sleeping" fiasco that almost made him go blue from choked laughing.

Percy snapped his fingers. "They could exchange vintage trading cards," he exclaimed.