#48 - Just Stay

Chapter 49 - Just Stay
published: Monday, 30 December 2019

Time Frame: around the time where twins' are less than a year old; Percy has just started as a detective; Annabeth's new job puts stress on her

Synopsis: As the build-up of bills and stress continues, Percy and Annabeth find themselves at a crossroad, leading them to the fight of their lives.

Contain(s): angst with a happy ending; mention of sexual content

—*—

Percy's hand hovered hesitantly over the door handle.

He wasn't quite sure when coming home had become something he dreaded, but here he was.

A tough case had kept him at the precinct for two hours of overtime, and yes, he'd texted Annabeth, but Percy hadn't received a reply, which made his stomach turn uncomfortably.

"Hello?" Percy called uncertainly as he pushed the front door open.

Sitting on the couch and facing him was Annabeth, her scraggly blonde hair tossed carelessly over one shoulder as she slumped into the couch. Her head snapped up the moment he stepped in, and Percy had to blink to register the toll the last few months had taken on her.

The bags under her eyes were more prominent than ever, and grey pupils that once sparkled with energy were now filled with exhaustion. Her face was still made up from work, but it didn't cover up the anger evident in her features.

It wasn't like the stress of being working parents hadn't affected Percy. Since he'd made the switch from marine biology to detective work, the degraded pay barely made the excitement of the career worth it.

He hardly slept anymore, and when he was awake, he was either working on a case or arguing with Annabeth.

Once, when he looked at her, all he saw was the good in the world. Now he saw unfinished fights, working long hours to pay the bills, and ghosts of the people they used to be.

"Percy," Annabeth stood up.

Percy mentally braved himself for the oncoming fight.

And when it came, it was the worst fight they had ever had.

"How could you do that?" Annabeth demanded, her voice rising. "You were supposed to look after the twins tonight! I told you I had a big meeting with the board today!"

"I'm sorry that I'm trying to earn some money so that we can pay off our monthly interest!" Percy held a hand to his forehead frustratedly.

"Well, good job, because I'm probably going to get fired tomorrow!" Annabeth cried.

Percy shrugged off his jacket and tossed it angrily to the side, slamming through into the living room.

"No, Percy, you're not avoiding this fight!" Annabeth yelled. "You know that I'm already on thin ice with my boss, so how could you do this to me? Does my career not mean as much?"

"I'm sorry!" Percy repeated loudly. "But it's not like I could just blow off work! Holt expected me to finish the case or a murderer would walk free."

"Look, I'm glad that you're doing something that matter," Annabeth cried. "But could it maybe not be at the cost of my career?"

"It's not my fault that you got the shittiest boss in history," Percy snapped. "I know that Jeremiah is horrible, but both of us have problems at work that we just have to deal with!" He groaned. "Annabeth, Jeremiah's been stressing you out for three months now! I can't do anything about it!"