#21 - Mistletoe (Part II)

Chapter 21 - Mistletoe (Part II)
published: Monday, 19 November 2018

Will rapped his knuckles on the door three times. "Chiron?"

The door swung open, revealing Chiron in his wheelchair, and the new camper sitting across from him.

"Hello, Will," Chiron greeted cheerfully. "This is Daryl Finche, our newest addition. Daryl, meet Will Solace, our resident doctor and nurse."

Will waved a hand in greeting.

His eyes raked over Daryl. Tall, 16 years old, bruised ribs and slash to the stomach...and not bad-looking, Will decided.

"Just wanted to update you on Annabeth's condition," Will told Chiron.

Chiron frowned. "What about Annabeth?"

Will shifted his weight.

"See, I didn't let Percy Jackson see her since she was still residing from last night, and visiting hours were over. I told him that only injured people were allowed in the infirmary..." Will paused. "So he punched himself in the face and told me he was injured."

Daryl's eyebrows shot skyward.

Chiron pursed his lips. "Well, you have to admire his dedication."

"He's currently resting in the bed next to Annabeth's," Will informed him. "With a bruised nose and bleeding knuckles."

Chiron sighed. "Oh, Percy. Sometimes I really wonder."

<<< >>>

Percy sat at the edge of Annabeth's hospital bed, his math homework spread out on his lap and a pen in hand.

No, he wasn't watching her sleep like a creepy person. He was just waiting for her to wake up. He sat facing her, so that his back was on the end of the bed, and his legs were crossed at her feet. 

She'd been sleeping since their fight with the dracanae yesterday. Will had said she'd only suffered a bruise from the surprise attack, but Percy decided to wait for her anyway.

Besides, it gave him time to complete his mandatory holiday homework.

The numbers on the page swam in front of his eyes.

Solve this simultaneous equation.
2x + y = 7
3x - 6y = -3

Percy couldn't even focus on one line of the equation without feeling like falling off the bed. He just didn't understand maths.

Just as he was about to throw his pen in the air in frustration, Annabeth stirred and sleepily opened her eyes. "Percy?"

She seemed to notice his bandages knuckles. "What happened?"

Percy went slightly red with embarrassment. "Uh..."

Annabeth sighed. "Who did you punch now?"

Percy pointed to his bruised nose bridge. "Myself."

Annabeth opened her mouth, then closed it. "You know what? I don't even want to know."

"Will wouldn't let me see you," Percy told her anyway. He set down his work beside him and leaned forward. "How're you feeling?"