#52 - Fake It Till You Make It (AU) (Part III)

Chapter 52 - Fake It Till You Make It (AU) (Part III)
published: Monday, 27 April 2020

Annabeth sat cross-legged in front of her suitcase, staring at the wall. The day had been a full blast of Christmas fun.

She'd barely had time to comprehend her talk with Jason this morning, but now that she was alone, everything really started to settle into place.

Tomorrow was Christmas Eve, and her last day on Long Island. Her last day with Percy.

Truthfully, Annabeth knew that she'd grown way, way too attached to his friends and family. For goodness' sake, Sally was still texting her. Like she was really Percy's girlfriend.

It was going to be difficult to leave the others too. Annabeth would still be in Manhattan after the holidays, but it wasn't like she could just pop by once Percy told them that they'd broken up.

Especially since it was, well, fake.

The most prominent worry that Annabeth had forced to the back of her mind was not leaving her new friends, but leaving Percy.

Six days were hardly anything, but Annabeth felt like she'd known him her entire life. Was it even possible to like someone after such a short time?

Well, apparently it was, because her heart had been doing marathons all day around Percy.

How could she say goodbye to him?

"Why is it so goddamn cold in here?" Annabeth grumbled, curling in on herself as she folded another sweater to place inside her bag.

Annabeth hated to admit it, but she was considering not going back to California for Christmas. Piper and Percy had begged her to stay, and disgruntled voice mails from her dad weren't exactly encouraging either.

But she'd spent over a decade putting effort into her family, could she really stop now?

The door to the bedroom clicked open. She glanced to her left, and uncontrollably blushed as Percy walked in.

"The heating's broken," Percy declared, flopping onto the bed. "That means no hot water and freezing temperatures tonight. Leo's trying to fix it, but he isn't sure if he can or how long it'll take."

"Wonderful," Annabeth muttered, slamming her bag shut as she crawled under the covers, shivering as she unsuccessfully tried to wrap herself in a blanket burrito.

Percy flicked the lights off, but she caught a glimpse of his amused grin at the sight of her swaddled in the duvet.

"You're still cold?" he snorted. "You're wearing two sweaters and furry socks."

"Okay, let's see if you can still be judgey when it's 2am and we're at sub-zero temperatures."

"Shut up and huddle."

Annabeth had to make a conscious effort not to gasp when Percy rolled closer to her, his body heat warming her up instantly.

"How do you produce so much heat?" she said irritatedly. "You're like a volcano."

"Don't see you complaining," came his smug reply."

"Watch me push you off the bed, Percy."

"You wouldn't—"

"Watch. Me."

<<< >>>

Percy woke up to the sound of soft breathing and and feeling of warm covers. Yawning, his eyes fluttered open, still drooping sleepily.