Tenya Iida

Requested by: cronagrell

Trigger Warning: Acephobia (courtesy of M*neta), Anxiety. 

Asexuality: Experiencing little/no sexual attraction, and/or no desire for sexual contact.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It should have been a task accomplished with haste and ease. You should have been accepted, spared of any stupid questions.

But in your dreamland, differences weren't embraced so kindly. After all, if your mind was fraught with a crushing fear of rejection, and more negativity than you could ever hope to handle, then of course your dreams would be plagued.

So, when you awoke, you steeled yourself. You had always been of a circumspect disposition, so it was really no wonder that you were terrified to follow through on your own plans. The reactions of your classmates didn't bear imagining - especially those of your loyal boyfriend. Ha, would his loyalties begin to waver, after he learned the truth? He was rather dedicated to science and study, so perhaps he would chastise you for 'neglecting evolution and how humans came to be'? Maybe he would call out your apparent immaturity? Or...maybe he would utter the words to throw you into the very bowels of despair:

"Am I not good enough?"

You knew that he would never harbour the intention of contributing to your mental anguish, but he was incredibly blunt. It wasn't a trait you loathed, though - by any stretch. Tenya's attraction to you had been initially characterised by subtle, little glances from afar, as well as slight trembles, as he fought against his nerves. Your academic prowess had been the first draw, then your timid personality, which clashed with his. It was a perfect 'opposites' scenario. You proved a wonderful match. His position as both Class President and a diligent student compromised much of his free time, and PDA was forever off the table. It didn't bother you, but...the thought of him wanting...perhaps pleading, for something more...

...It turned your stomach. The whole concept of sex wasn't, in itself, disgusting to you. No...just that you failed to see the appeal - why the media portrayed it in such a glorious light, and why certain people raved about it. What did disgust you, however, was the nagging voice inside your head...the one that swore you were only playing with his feelings, that you might one day feel pressured, and instead of talking it over, you would just leave...walk out of his life, like he never mattered at all.

What a pathetic lie.

You didn't wish to feign pleasure, or assume a brave mask, for he took notice of every small change. He was far too observant. But it couldn't be helped - you were his amazing other-half. If you could swallow down this anxiety, long enough to beg for his forgiveness, to apologise for disappointing him...

...Would he forgive you? Did you deserve a chance to show that you still loved him...to make him understand that there wasn't a need to progress past those warm cuddles, and soft kisses? The rhythms of your hearts were synchronised. Your bond was built to outlast a mere three years of school, and you had already devoted your souls to each other. But, your body...at least the most intimate parts...they could never be shared. Not even with someone so special. There was no fault, no-one to blame. He shouldn't carry guilt or sorrow. He shouldn't be consumed by rage. You hadn't been lying to him since your relationship began - the topic was never breached. You hoped and prayed that he would think twice before abandoning you. Maybe he would glance back, just once. Maybe he would feel remorse...just a tiny sliver?

You wanted him to stay, but you knew how he valued family, how much pride he took in it, and how he desired to continue the Iida legacy. That probably incorporated a family of his own...a model spouse and children. The future you pictured for yourself didn't look so bleak. You wouldn't provide for him those children. You didn't want to. A family of two sounded better...just a husband and spouse. Three's a crowd, as they say.

You arrived to school, goosebumps littering your skin.

Hopefully this wasn't as difficult as in the dream...

"(Y/n)! Good morning!" Ochaco pounced on you, grinning from ear-to-ear.

"Morning." You responded, quietly.

Wait...Ochaco will be understanding, right? Maybe I can get her to help me...?

"Um..." You started, looking between her and the influx of students trying to get through the door before Mr Aizawa turned up. "...Could you...could you help me with something? Please?"

After explaining the situation, and calming your nerves to the best of your ability, she nodded. "Of course I'll help you! That's what friends are for, right? Ooh, maybe you should use the chalkboard? Here comes Mr Aizawa! I'll go talk to him!"

The two of them engaged in a short conversation, and then Ochaco ran back to your side. For a moment, she met Iida's puzzled expression, and just shook her head. Mr Aizawa sighed, and the entire class fell mute.

"(L/n) has something to tell you." He stepped aside. "You can come up now."

So you did, and with a piece of chalk, you wrote out: 'I'm really nervous about this, but I've wanted to come out for a while. So here goes...I'm Asexual.'

Squeezing your eyes shut, it pained you to imagine the horrified looks upon your classmates' faces. For a time, nobody spoke. The silent tension seemed perennial. It was a devastating blow to your confidence. You wished to back-track, to scrub the board clean, along with the memories of that morning.

Someone laughed, breaking your train of thought and filling your eyes with tears. "That's not real, though. You just need the right partner. I bet it sucks being unattractive - you'll never get to have any fun."

Fury flickered amid your sadness. How dare that purple menace insinuate that Tenya wasn't your perfect match! There was a spot in the deepest, most agonising region of Hell, awaiting the day he perished. And with the aghast noises of everyone else in the room, you wagered that it would be soon. You wanted to unleash ungodly amounts of pain and misery on to him. But you were frozen, just watching as your boyfriend calmly arose from his seat, and walked toward M*neta.

"Please excuse my actions, Mr Aizawa." He needn't have said anything, for the teacher was already asleep.

Right there and then, Tenya punched M*neta across the room.

Then, with serenity-painted features, he looked at you and proclaimed, "There is a difference between comprehension and respect. I may not understand just yet, but I promise that I shall strive to lean all I can! As your partner, it is the least I can do!"

[Word Count: 1100]