• sixty seven: part two •

Comenzar desde el principio

"Yes yes, I know I know. I can explain." I said trying to shush him. "Kim and I got into it again."

"What she do this time?"

"So the girls and I had a wild night and La currently has a terrible hangover." I began. He opened his mouth about to say something but I stopped him. "Yes, much like Chris."

"That's crazy."

"Tell me about it. Anyway Ciara was talking about how bad she felt and that's when Kim came in tryna blame everything on me as if we weren't all a part of it. So I got her together."

"And then?"

"Bitch started complaining per usual and felt the need to mention Kiara's name. I gave her a fair warning but she must've thought I was someone to play with cause she did it again. So I tackled her and fucked her face up."

His jaw clenched and he nodded, "As you should've."

"Tuh, I should've done more. But anyway she gets up and starts calling me all types of animal, aggressive and violent. Basically tryna use the Angry Black Woman stereotype on me. I mean if that's what I have to be to get people not to mess with me then I guess that's what I am."

"No Kelz. That's not what you are at all." He placed his hands on my shoulders and I could see the calm and rational Trey that I needed start to come out. "She was just gaslighting the hell out of you. The thing about people who do that is they'll have you thinking you're in the wrong, which you're not. You had every right to be angry. I don't know any parent who wouldn't have done the same thing."

"Well it's kinda hard for me to feel good about what I did at the moment... I didn't even get to the worst part. Kim basically told La to choose between me and her, and she was actually standing there thinking about it."

"Wait huh? Nah, that can't be right. What did she say?"

"She was about to explain how she had to consider my word against Kim's but I left before she had the chance."

"What's there to consider?" he asked, just as confused as I was.

"I wish I knew, Trey! It's ridiculous!" I exclaimed, feeling myself start to get emotional. "I don't like to count favors but I've been there for her through so much! And it's never been a one-sided type of thing because she's always been there for me the same way. Those few days when I thought she was gonna die, it felt like a piece of me was missing, I felt incomplete. Just to see her bounce back from that and have happiness in her life again means so much to me. I've always been a rider for her, so it hurt to not only watch her let this girl talk crazy about me time and time again but to see her silently compare us as if there's even a real comparison!"

"Baby..." He pulled me closer and held me. "I feel what you're saying, and I'm pretty sure she knows all of that. She's not in her best state of mind right now so she was probably just trying to process everything going on. Her not saying anything doesn't necessarily mean she would choose Kim over you."

I shook my head, "This is the second time she failed to stick up for me when it comes to Kim. We had a conversation about this so she knows exactly where I'm coming from, yet she still left me hanging just like she did last time. I think that's my answer right there."

"Nope. You need to go back and listen to what she has to say, and tell her how you feel as well. Running away from the problem won't make it any better."

"I'm just not ready to hear something I don't wanna hear..."

"If I know La like you know her, that won't happen. Y'all go way too far back for all this bullshit."