xxii. 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙬𝙤𝙧𝙡𝙙 𝙞𝙨 𝙤𝙣 𝙛𝙞𝙧𝙚.

┍━━━━━━━━━━┑chapter twenty-two

┍━━━━━━━━━━┑
chapter twenty-two.
the world is on fire.
┕━━━━━━━━━━┙

June hasn't had a chance to rest since the dropship landed on Earth. Scratch that - she hasn't breathed properly since she helped Wells set fire to the last tree of hope. It was pretty difficult to breathe than when the smoke from the burning ash filled her lungs until the guards dragged her to the Skybox where she remained for only a few days. Earth sucked the life out of her then took more just because it could. It forced June to do awful things to people she cared about. It made her into a killer, a monster, someone who wasn't deserving of love. She tries to catch her breath now with her head on the pillow of her room, but she thinks the room is growing smaller and suffocating her.

The weight of the world pressed June further into the mattress. What Clarke called Praimfaya had to be solved, and it was up to her, Clarke, and Bellamy to stop it. And they had no idea where to start.

She curls an arm around the pillow when she hears the door open. June tenses, expecting either Bellamy or Clarke's voice to fill the room, but neither of them is there. It's Raven, who whispers, "June?"

June presses her lips together before she can cry out. She didn't realize she was crying until she felt the pillowcase spot with the drops that turn the cloth damp. She hears quiet footsteps before she feels the bed dips and a second later, Raven's arm drapes over her hip from behind. June inhales deeply at the touch because Raven always knew her weak spots and then chokes out, "I know the risks. I know what Bellamy did to save them was wrong, but I..." She shakes her head and a sob escapes without her permission. "... I just don't want anyone else to die."

She feels Raven press a light kiss to the nape of her neck. "June... I don't want you to think I'm mad at you. You didn't make that decision," she starts quietly. "But because of that choice, more people are going to die. You're a leader. It's going to be harder on you. I never wanted that for you."

June's breathing becomes shakier as she feels herself start to fall apart into millions of pieces that could never be put back together properly. "It's okay," she admits in sorrow. "I deserve it." Because June left a trail of destruction everywhere she went and this pain was payback for it.

The hug Raven has on June tightens and their legs tangle together closer. "You don't deserve it," she argues firmly. "You're an overly-generous, selfless, loyal, brave person. That's what makes you a great leader, but I wish you'd be a little more selfish sometimes. You give, you give, and you expect nothing in return. You have to let yourself rest sometimes."

"What makes me deserve it?" June replies numbly. The world told June to pour her heart into everything she does. So that's what she said. She continued to pour, and pour, and pour, and now, she's empty, and everyone wanted to know why.