viii. 𝙬𝙝𝙮 𝙙𝙞𝙙 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙜𝙤?

┍━━━━━━━━━━┑chapter eight

┍━━━━━━━━━━┑
chapter eight.
why did you go?
┕━━━━━━━━━━┙

        Clarke looks so much different compared to what June remembers her, now that she can really see her. She can't put her finger on why. Maybe it's the look on Clarke's face, the way she faintly smiles at both her and Bellamy when their eyes meet. Her blonde hair is longer than before, pieces in braids and knots. She's definitely wearing grounder clothing, which June assumes is because Clarke had spent so long in Polis. June is so stunned, she can't speak or make any noise, her jaw partially open in shock.

"Now I'm done," Octavia announces, satisfied when she sees both her brother and June astonished. She leaves then, shutting the door quietly behind her, so the three of them were left alone.

"Go easy on Octavia," Clarke advised gently. "I had to beg her to get me into camp."

There's no kindness in Bellamy's voice as he replies. "What are you doing here, Clarke?" He demanded. Even though June doesn't tear her gaze off of Clarke, she knows what Bellamy is thinking. Every memory the three of them suffered through before Clarke had left them is playing in his head.

"We need to talk," Clarke says more seriously.

The shock June feels wears off when she glances to her. "Now you want to talk?" She finds herself questioning, her voice cracking like she was in pain. There were so many times that June needed to talk to Clarke, and she wasn't there.

Clarke nods. "Yes," she confirmed, oblivious to what June is thinking. "I asked Octavia to bring you. I know you've helped Bellamy while I was gone, and..."

"Oh, you've decided that. The mighty Wanheda," Bellamy interrupted her with a scoff. "Who chose the grounders over her own people." The way he spits out the word 'grounders' with disgust makes June's stomach churn. Surely Clarke knew what had happened by now. "Who turned her back on us when we came to rescue you. Now you want to talk."

A frown tugs at Clarke's mouth as she turns around the table. "I came here to tell you that the Ice Nation has paid a price. Justice has been served for the attack on Mount Weather. I came here to tell you it's over."

"There it is again." Bellamy rolled his eyes. "Why do you get to decide it's over?"

None of that matters much to June. She's glad that for now, they aren't in another war, but she can still feel the weight of the world on her shoulders from when they left Mount Weather. She can still feel the burn marks left on her body when the mountain blew. But June needed Clarke to be there, and she abandoned her.

"We did our part," Clarke said softly.

"We?" Bellamy repeated.

"Lexa and I," Clarke answered. June sees the way Bellamy's face twists into anger and hurt. "The Ice Queen is dead. The problem was solved and then you let Pike ruin everything," she accused.