xxiv. 𝙝𝙚𝙖𝙙 𝙞𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙘𝙡𝙤𝙪𝙙𝙨.

┍━━━━━━━━━━┑chapter twenty-four

┍━━━━━━━━━━┑
chapter twenty-four.
head in the clouds.
┕━━━━━━━━━━┙

   June regrets having not swum a lot since landing. It took a long time before she felt comfortable with the feeling of soil on her boots after floating in space her entire life. She wasn't a fan of water after hearing Octavia was dragged underneath by a monstrous-sized animal they've never heard of, possibly mutated by the lingering radiation, and eventually learned how to swim. Sort of. At the very least, June wouldn't drown right away if the occasion called for it. She hopes that the boat Emori led them on to reach the lab far from their home wouldn't capsize. The only plus side would be if Murphy drowned.

June couldn't help glaring at the back of his head. He was so insistent on tagging along once he found out what they were doing to survive because there'll be two things left when the end of the world hit - cockroaches, and John Murphy. She didn't understand the hate that was still boiling towards him. June couldn't possibly understand why Abby still trusted him enough to give him a seat on their travels. She didn't. And she sure as hell didn't trust the other leech he seemed to be fond of, Emori, someone he met when he disappeared.

The roar of the boat's engine rumbles so loudly that June fears she'd topple over the boat's edge. She kept a firm grip on one of the poles just in case and wishes momentarily she would get over the silly fear and the rightful anger towards Murphy so she could appreciate the beautiful mix of blue and green waves lapping against the boat. It was as if the trees were reflecting off of them. June feels a sudden sense of relief when the lighthouse comes into view as does Abby, who shuts off the walkie she was speaking to Kane on and tucks it away.

They come to a harsh stop next to a wooden deck. It looked like it was falling apart from the years it's stood there that June feared stepping on it more than staying in the water, but the lab was waiting. As one of the guards tied the boat to the deck with a rope, Murphy gazes towards the shore. "Where are the boats?" He asks Emori.

"Without ALIE there's no reason to be here," Emori replies. She grabs a leather bag and slung it over her shoulder.

Abby steps off the rim first. She was studying the tablet she was carrying. "According to Thelonious's map, the lab is in the middle of the island. Five miles straight ahead."

The rest of her group piles out of the boat next. June keeps her tight clasp on the pole for balance until her boots are steady on the rocking wood below. She knew she shouldn't offer Raven a hand, in fear of both offending the girl and knowing it wasn't right to assume she couldn't do simple tasks on her own, so June only subtly keeps an eye on her over her shoulder just to be sure Raven landed safely.

But Jackson still questions the mechanic, "you okay for that hike?"

Raven scoffs. "Try to keep up with me."