iii. 𝙛𝙤𝙡𝙡𝙤𝙬𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙩𝙧𝙖𝙞𝙡 𝙤𝙛 𝙙𝙚𝙖𝙩𝙝.

┍━━━━━━━━━━┑chapter three

┍━━━━━━━━━━┑
chapter three.
following the trail of death.
┕━━━━━━━━━━┙

        Three hours go by faster than June would like. She was too worried to be annoyed, wondering why whoever was out there hadn't struck yet. She thought maybe it was Ice Nation, but the warriors would have ambushed the rover already. The others seemed tired as well, but everyone, even Indra had their hand on their weapon. June's gun was positioned at an angle at her hip, finger on the trigger for any sudden attack. But the weariness was fading fast, and she was getting irritated.

"It's been three hours. What are they waiting for?" Bellamy broke the silence, complaining. "Even with the light, I can't see anyone."

Monty sighed. "I say we make a run for it," he suggested.

"No," Kane argued. "That's what they want us to do."

"So?" June cut in. "I'm with Monty. We can't just wait here either."

"The boy is right," Indra agreed. "They can wait longer than we can."

It's silent as Kane thinks it over before he finally caves when realizing there was no other option. "Okay," he says before giving orders. "Bellamy, get in the turret and you cover us. Once we get to that ridge over there, we'll cover you."

"Copy that." Bellamy cocks his gun and straightens. "Run fast." June prepared herself as he stands, rising through the hatch. She doesn't expect him to call back a few seconds later. "They're here."

"Everybody out or the boy dies!" An unfamiliar deep voice threatened from the outside. Before June can blink, Bellamy is suddenly yanked up and out of the rover with a shout.

"Hey, okay!" Kane panics. "We're coming out, don't hurt him!"

June shares a grave look with Monty. She drops her firearm, takes a deep breath, and starts to open the rover's door. It barely moves before it's ripped open and her arm is pulled out so rough she cried out. She's thrown to the ground, her arm bent behind her with a knee to her back. June struggles, gritting her teeth, but her face is pressed against the dirt and she can't see anyone else.

"All targets secure," a female voice says.

Footsteps, and then; "Found it." From the same man who pulled Bellamy out.

"It's mine!" Monty shouts angrily. "Give it back!"

"Stop!" June protested, trying to pull her arm away from the one holding her down. "Don't hurt him!" A blade is suddenly pressed to the back of her neck, warning her to keep still.

"Monty, June, let it go!" Bellamy warns them in a strained voice.

The woman who spoke earlier of them as targets gasped softly. "Monty?" She repeated slowly.

𝐛𝐥𝐞𝐞𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐮𝐭︱raven reyes, book 2On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara