xx. 𝙨𝙚𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙤𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙤𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧 𝙨𝙞𝙙𝙚.

┍━━━━━━━━━━┑chapter twenty

┍━━━━━━━━━━┑
chapter twenty.
see you on the other side.
┕━━━━━━━━━━┙

June wanted her friends back. She at least wanted to know if they were okay. They had battled and took down an AI that had one mission; to take over the human race. And they still haven't been in contact with the ones waiting for them at Arkadia. The radio's wires were still torn even though Monty was working on them as fast as he could. She felt like she had one leg dangling over the edge of a cliff, waiting for the news that would make her let go and plummet to the ground. That news would be that June's friends failed despite taking ALIE down and they were all wiped out in Polis. She can't even have fun celebrating their own victory with Monty, Harper, Jasper, and Raven because she didn't feel safe. She couldn't let her guard down - she believes doing so would only lead to more destruction.

The drink in June's hand did nothing to bring relief to the weight on her shoulders no matter how many sips she had. She didn't want to feel a buzz in case that destruction was minutes away from happening and she wouldn't be able to defend them. Jasper, however, had already lost himself to having a few too many as he slid and danced to the blaring music while carrying a container of moonshine as he came to a stop in front of Harper. "Sorry about the... You know," he apologized, gesturing to the cut on her forehead.

Harper cocked her head with a raise of her eyebrows. "Smashing my face into a wall or pistol whipping me?" She inquired with faint sarcasm.

"Can I plead the chip?" Jasper requested with a little wince at the boldness. Harper paused but she seemed to accept his apology anyway. She raised the cup he poured with mock cheers and he followed the motion in reply before moving on. Jasper doesn't get the chance to pour a drop in Raven's cup before her hand appears from underneath the desk and slaps over the rim. She gave him a strict, scolding glare as she stood with a push on her working leg. "We saved the world. You're supposed to celebrate, I think that's a rule," he insisted. "Come on. Even Thompson took some." He held up the container again.

"I'll celebrate when we know the others are okay and when I get the mainframe back online," Raven says firmly as she eased herself in the chair next to June and went to work on the set of computers again.

The monitors started lighting up with blue codes. June took one last sip before she pulled a keyboard towards her and went to work. She didn't notice Jasper behind her, watching, with watering eyes until he whispers to the pair. "Is it weird I want to go back in?" He admitted under his breath so neither Monty or Harper could hear. June doesn't move but her heart aches at the confession that he'd rather be under ALIE's influence than be in pain - pain that she caused, pain that came with the guilt even mountains couldn't carry.

"It's not weird, Jasper," Raven tells him without taking her eyes off the screens.

Jasper pointed to the main screen. "It is weird that you can code though and you're not a coder, right? It's like ALIE upgraded your brain." He paused and June felt his gaze burning through the back of her head. "Then again, I mean, June's got this without having the chip. You two almost have the same mind."