xv. 𝙧𝙚𝙩𝙪𝙧𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙜𝙝𝙤𝙨𝙩𝙨.

┍━━━━━━━━━━┑chapter fifteen

┍━━━━━━━━━━┑
chapter fifteen.
returning ghosts.
┕━━━━━━━━━━┙

        Now that Raven was back, her eyes were lighting up, and she looked like the old inspired mechanic June fell in live with at the dropship camp. She can't help but smile at the sight, it gives her a warm feeling, that mixed with the orange and yellow sun rising. The mechanic is sitting across from her holding a leather book, flicking through the pages along with the bouncing of the rover that they squeezed everyone inside of. With no more room, Bellamy, driving, was attempting to get ahold of Miller, Bryan, and Harper who was left inside of the cave they came from as Raven explained the true story.

"Becca's journal is amazing. At twenty-six, she found a pathway to access a human mind. That same year, she had to lock up A.L.I.E. because her answer for what was wrong with the world was too many people." She paused. "She was 27 when it launched the bombs."

"What did she write about the Flame?" Clarke questioned after a beat of silence.

"ALIE 2.0," Raven corrected. "She saw it as a way to atone for her sins. She designed it to not just access a human mind but to merge with one. It could never wipe us out because it would be one of us. She would put it in herself first. Altered her genes so her body wouldn't reject the implant."

"Bekka Pramheda, the first Commander," Clarke marveled. "The gene therapy made her blood back, didn't it?" Raven nodded.

Octavia squinted in the blonde's direction. "How did you know that?"

"Nightblood," Clarke answered simply. "That's where it came from. Somehow, it became hereditary. Luna has it. That's why we have to find her. If she can access ALIE 2..."

"She can tell us how to stop ALIE 1," Octavia finished for her.

"And we can save everyone else," June added.

Rubbing his temples tiredly, Sinclair shook his head. "Bekka Pramheda gets her second shot at atonement," he mumbled.

"Get back to the mind pathway," Monty told Raven. "If ALIE uses it to upload our minds to the City of Light, then there's a chance my mom's still alive." June's smile vanished, being replaced with a faint frown that she doesn't want Monty to see. She can't be the one to crush his hopes.

Wincing, Raven tried to find a way to respond without hurting him. "That depends on your definition of alive," she said gravely.

When Arkadia comes into view as a speck, Bellamy cut in. "Eyes sharp, weapons high. We're almost home," he warned them. He lifted the radio's speaker. "Miller, come in." He only received a static. "Harper, you there?" He urged.

June feels her chest churn uncertainly. "They had to have been home by now," she said worriedly. What if their friends were ambushed?

"We can't think like that," Clarke said calmly. "They're probably at Arkadia, waiting for us." June knows that she'll have to hold onto that for now.