Chapter Sixty Nine

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right?" my father's recorded voice said. "But it doesn't always roll that way. Maybe this time. I'm hoping if you play this back...it's in celebration. I hope families are reunited. I hope we get it back. And something like the normal version of the planet has been restored. If there ever was such a thing. God, what a world. Universe, now. If you told me ten years ago that we weren't alone, let alone to this extent, I mean, I wouldn't have been surprised, but come on, who knew? The epic forces of dark and light that have come into play. And for better or worse...that's the reality Morgan's gonna have to find a way to grow up in."
My gaze fell on my father's Iron Man helmet on the table. And despite all the tears and weight pressing down on my shoulders, I smiled a little.
I looked back up to the hologram of my father, sitting on a backwards chair.
"So, I thought I'd better record a little greeting...in case of an untimely death. On my part. Not that death at any time isn't untimely."
I grabbed onto Steve's arm next to me, for support.
"This time travel thing we're gonna try and pull of tomorrow...it's got me scratching my head about the survivability of it all. That's the thing. Then again, that's the hero gig, right? Part of the journey is the end...What am I even tripping for? Everything is gonna work out exactly the way it's supposed to," he said as he got off the chair and made his way closer to the helmet. His gaze looked at Morgan and then, somehow, up to me. "I love you 3000."
The image faded away in a moment.
I wiped away my tears, then steeled myself as Pepper stood up and took Morgan's hand in her own.
I handed her the ceremonial wreath we had made, with my father's first arc reactor in the middle. She nodded, then I joined her side as we walked out of the house and down the stairs.
As we walked through the grass, I met Wanda's eyes and she held the connection and smiled a little, I returned it.
We walked all the way to the end of the dock and Pepper bent down, setting the wreath on the surface of the water. I read the words 'Proof that Tony Stark has a heart' once more, before it floated away.
I looked over my shoulder as it floated away meeting the eyes of some of my friends...Rhodey, Happy, Steve, and Peter. Thor and Bruce. I looked even father back and met Rocket's eyes, he gave me an apologetic look. I looked behind them and caught Wanda's eyes, as she stood next to Bucky, Sam, and Charlie.
After most of us had parted ways, I joined Wanda and Clint by the river edge.
Wanda put her arm around my shoulders and held me close to her.
"You know," Clint said. "I wish there was a way that I could let her know. That we won."
I looked down and began to play with my yellow ring as he spoke of Nat.
"We did it," he added.
Wanda nodded a little and swallowed away some tears.
"She knows," she said.
He didn't seem to let it sink in for a moment.
"She knows," I repeated.
"They both do," Wanda added.
We all turned our gaze back out to the water and we held each other close.
After we had broken apart and went our separate ways, I joined Charlie by the edge of the house.
"How you holding up?" he asked.
"I've been better," I said slowly. "But...I think I've been worse."
He cocked an eyebrow at my mood.
"The way I see it, he would have never wanted me to wallow in pity for the rest of my life. He made the ultimate sacrifice in order to make sure we all lived. I won't let that go to waste."
Charlie nodded slowly, then wrapped an arm around my shoulders and pulled me closer to him with a light laugh.
"You wanna go get a cheeseburger from Burger King?" he asked while smiling.
I laughed and smiled up at him.
"Of course I do," I said.

Later in the day I met in the woods with Bruce, Steve, Sam, and Bucky. I helped Bruce fine tune the miniaturized Quantum Tunnel.
"Does everything look good?" Bruce asked. "I followed the plans to the best of my ability, but I'm no engineer."
I nodded, inspecting some data on a screen.
"Yeah, everything seems to be good to go."
He nodded and returned to what he was doing.
I walked over to Steve who was standing by the platform.
I stood just in front of him and looked up to meet his eyes. He waited for me to speak, but gasped a little as I wrapped my arms tight around his neck.
"Y/N," he started. "There's something I should tell you. I've haven't been able to stop thinking about it. I th-"
"I know," I interrupted, already knowing what had been on his mind.
"But-"
"I was in that office too, Steve. Trust me," I said, then smiled a little. "I know."
He closed his mouth and smiled a little, nodding.
"And you're okay with it?"
"You deserve a happy ending too," I said.
He nodded and I stepped away from the platform, taking my spot next to Sam and Bucky.
"Remember," Bruce said as he opened the case containing the six Stones. "You have to return the Stones to the exact moment you got 'em..."
"Or you're gonna open up a bunch of nasty alternative realities," I said.
"Don't worry, Bruce," Steve said, shutting the case. "Clip all the branches."
"You know, I tried," Bruce said, causing me to look up at him in confusion. "When I had the gauntlet, the Stones. I really tried to bring her back. I miss her, man."
"Me too," Steve said.
"Me three," I added quietly.
Steve and Sam began to walk towards the Tunnel again, while Bruce and I finished preparing the Tunnel.
Steve tapped his wrist and the suit materialized around him as he stood on the Tunnel.
"How long is this gonna take?" Sam asked.
"For him, as long as he needs. For us, five seconds."
Steve turned back around and picked up the hammer.
"You ready, Cap?" Bruce asked.
He nodded.
"All right, we'll meet you back here."
"You bet," Steve nodded, as his helmet materialized.
I stepped away from the console as Bruce prepped it.
"Going quantum. Three...two...one."
I smiled a little as Steve disappeared and I turned to look out over the rubble of the Avengers compound.
"And returning in five...four...three, two...one."
I heard the machine whir behind me, but I didn't hear Steve reappear. I nodded slowly as I turned around.
"Where is he?" Sam asked as Bruce fiddled with the controls.
"I don't know. He blew right by his time stamp," Bruce said. "He should be here."
      "Sir," Smoak said, highlighting a figure by the water.
I watched Bucky walk towards the figure and my eyes followed him.
The man had to be Steve.
"Get him back," Sam said.
"I'm trying," Bruce said.
"Get him the hell back."
"Hey, I said I'm trying."
"Sam," Bucky said, grabbing his attention. Sam and Bruce both looked in the same direction, looking at Steve on the bench.
I watched as they walked closer and shared some words. Steve handed the Captain America shield to Sam and he slid it onto his arm.
They shook hands and when Steve pulled away he went back to looking over the water.
I walked over and Sam saw me, taking the opportunity to step away. I sat down on the bench next to him.
"Hey," I said.
"Hi, Y/N," the much older Steve replied.
"So, Sam's the new Cap?"
"It appears so."
"That'll take some adjusting," I said, meeting his eyes. "I've only known you as Cap since you rescued me in Novi Grad."
"Yes, I remember. Although, it feels like a lifetime ago."
"From what I'm seeing...it was."
"Yes, I suppose so."
My eyes wandered down to his left hand, where a thin golden ring sat on his finger.
"I see you got that happy ending?" I said.
He nodded slowly.
"Yes," he said.
"Was it everything you'd hoped it would be?"
He paused and looked out over the water.
"And more."