Chapter Forty Seven

I was pacing back and forth, about the waiting room outside my hospital room. Despite my family's protests I pushed past them and began to walk around.
      "What do you mean I was flat line for three hours?" I panicked.
      "According to the doctors, you weren't gonna make it. There was substantial damage to your brain and at the time there was no way for them to fix it. You were living only on life support. And they told us that as soon as they pulled you off, you would die. We called everyone here, to...say goodbye, and then...an hour later they pulled you off life support." my dad said.
"We all waited for you to die, Y/N." Peter said slowly, "We waited to hear the tone, but it never came. Your heart kept beating, for hours. You lived for hours, the doctors took you to get more scans, and when they came back the bleed was gone, as if it had drained to nowhere, and the injury never happened. They had never seen anything like it."
"The best answer we can come up with is that your powers some how kept you from dying, or something along those lines..." my father said.
I thought about the vision I had of the purple alien life form, "Yeah, or something..."
I slowly lowered myself onto the couch.
After a brief moment, Peter and Charlie joined me at my sides.
They both soothed me in their own ways, but even after contemplating what happened, I managed to shock them with my reaction.
I began laughing, a sarcastic, sentimental, tired laugh.
"What?" they both said, wondering why I was laughing.
"I'm sixteen years old and the amount of times I've nearly died is so high, I don't even remember..."
"That's funny, why?" Pepper said, shocked.
"I'm not laughing in the 'Haha, I almost died' way, I'm laughing because this life is the most crazy thing I could have gotten myself involved in."
"You got that right..." Charlie said.
I shook my head and brought myself under control.
"When can I go home?" I asked.
"As soon as the doctors discharge you."
I nodded, slowly.
"Any sign of the robot?" I asked my dad.
"No, everything's been safe and calm since last night."
"Good...good."
Peter helped me back into my bed and everyone insisted that I needed to take a nap. I needed to sleep. I protested, even though I knew they would all win.
It wasn't that I wasn't tired, I was. I was just afraid of what might greet me when I fall asleep.

"Anything on the scans, Smoak?" I asked.
"Nothing, sir. All is calm."
"I don't know if that's good or bad..." I thought out loud.
"Would now be a bad time to use the phrase: 'The calm before the storm'?"
"No...I think this is an excellent time to say that."
I leaned back in my chair and sighed.
"May I point out that possibly you need to take a break. You have been in Death's grasps three times in the past two months."
"Well, luckily for me, I'm pretty slippery when it comes to that."
"Just be careful."
"Always am." I spinned my chair around as I thought of ways to search for the robot.
I blew a fluff of hair out of my face after a few minutes of thinking.
"Any ideas, Smoak?"
"Well, I've been trying to narrow a list down of possible ways that the target has been hiding from our scans, but I do not have anything concrete. The list is still very extensive."
"I'll take what I can get. Randomly pick one of the ways on the list."
"Right away, boss. Randomizing..." after a brief moment. "It's a rarely used tactic, and hasn't been that well investigated, but it is commonly called the Centrifugal-"
"Centrifugal Internet Cloak...CIC."
"You're familiar with it?"
"Not very, but I've heard and read a lot about it. I've never explicitly used it because it's so unused, but maybe that gives him the option to hide even easier..."
I began to write up a new code to search for the robot.
      "How are you planning on catching the target, sir?"
      "Well, the CIC program operates by constantly and quickly moving through the same several internet links over and over. It does it so fast that it creates a cloak of sorts, that can become almost impossible to detect. But, in the process the program leaves a 'bondage' of sorts, that connects the links it uses. So by finding the bonded links, we can insert a reciprocal program that will run in the opposite direction and stop the leading CIC in its tracks, and ultimately keep the target from leaving the trap we've set."
      "What will we do once we've laid the trap?"
      "I'll attempt to erase the target's primary source code, to see if I can stop it once and for all, but this program will take a while to write."
      "I've finished analyzing the code you've written so far, as well as the information I've just been given. I believe I have all the necessary materials needed to finish the reciprocal program, sir."
      "Great. Thank you, Smoak."
      "It's what I'm here for." I began to make adjustments to my suit gauntlet, which was propped up on the desk. "I hate to be a bother and I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but you did nearly die just a mere three days ago. Perhaps you should spend some time with the young Mr. Parker, he was absolutely terrified for you."
      I set my tools down and briefly thought over what Smoak was telling me.
      "That...sounds like a good idea. I have just the thing planned too. Thank you, again,  Smoak. Notify me when the program is done being written."
      "Will do, sir."
      "Oh, and start my car."
      "Which one?"
      "...Prototype B."
      There was a brief pause, as if...if he could be smiling he was, "...right away, sir."
      I nodded once, sharply, then went up the stairs to the main floor, pulling out my phone to contact Peter.
      "Hey, what's up, Y/N?"
      "I'm picking you up in five. Be ready."
      "Five minutes? That's fast. For what?"
      "You'll see." I smiled. "And dress warm."
      I hung up before he could respond.