Thirty Six: Resurrected

Start from the beginning

"Elizabeth abandoned her responsibilities and now you hold our lives in your hands. However powerful you may be, I hope you are at least compassionate enough to understand the ramifications should you try to use us as a weapon for your own gain." He hadn't intended for it to be a threat, but the words left his mouth as one nonetheless.

She watched him in that unwavering way for a long moment, and for a second he swore a flash of something akin to feeling crossed her gaze, but it was gone before he could identify what it was or what it meant. Her jaw clenched in a way that reminded him of Elizabeth, and he couldn't help but wonder how much of this deity truly made up the former "Queen in the North." His chin rose in defiance as she approached him, flinching back when she snapped her fingers. Thick pants and a long sleeve shirt took the place of the blanket, along with a heavy duty jacket that only the finest of vampires could have afforded. Heavy boots and warm socks covered his numb feet and he was reluctant to admit his thanks.

"Thank you." He muttered under his breath, barely catching the slight curl of her lips before she turned away.

"Come."

Apprehensive, he followed willingly. They crossed into the darker part of the wilderness, where the foliage grew too thick to pass through, but this did not deter her. With a wave of her hand and harsh command, the trees groaned and the angry rose bush pulled back its thorns, revealing a narrow pathway into the woods. Despite his outburst of anger, Owen was in awe of the way she commanded the very earth to do her bidding and it was then that he realized how little this pack of wolves must seem to her. A chill fled down his back when she began to speak, her voice weaving a tale of near incomprehensible quality.

"My mother had an affinity for earth that could not be rivaled. When the time of my abduction came, the earth grew dry and barren. Even with the death of thousands on her hands, she refused to grow so much as a single blade of grass until I was returned." She fell silent as the narrow woods opened up into a hidden thicket, the sun streaming through the trees and across the ground. He noticed immediately that there was a large mound of dirt in the middle of the clearing and shifted nervously.

Surely she's not going to kill me, right?

The goddess laughed suddenly, but it was empty, devoid of humanity. "Do not fear, this grave is already taken."

She whispered another command and the dirt caved in, rippling like water as it crumbled into a six foot deep and almost as wide rectangle. He held his breath as it rose again, carrying with it a body. The creature slumbering in the depths of his mind opened its eyes as she came into view. Owen's fists clenched and his hatred for the goddess burned hot, stinging his eyes. His sister's body lay in the soil, surrounded by tiny tendrils of what looked like vines embedded in her skin, slithering like green veins beneath her skin. Her white hair flared out around her delicate frame, like a halo.

"What have you done to her?" He snarled, his skin tightening. It was only thing to bury her without allowing her family the courtesy of saying goodbye, but another all together when her remains were toyed with. Her throat was a mess, a gaping hole of gore and horror, leaving his heart in splinters. The sight of her near translucent skin, bloodless and devoid of life and the foliage feasting on the remains of her body made him sick.

"You are angry." She stated, watching him closely.

"If you have defiled her body in any way, I will go to the ends of the earth to make sure that today, is your last day." His voice was cold as it had ever been, and not at all lacking in promise.