Forty-Nine: Check, Mate.

Control

By: Zoe Wees

&

Walk Through Hell

By: Anson Seabra

Vienna resisted the urge to smirk triumphantly as the last of her spell was swept away by the biting wind. She felt the shift in the air immediately as dark thunderclouds and roaring winds began to build from the east, a threatening rumble of thunder following not far behind. Weakened from starvation and abuse, she collapsed to her knees onto the cold ground, her body too tired to even manage a shiver in the freezing air. Hatred sharpened her fangs into lethal daggers when Ravenna's commanding presence paused beside her and a cold hand dropped onto her head, petting her in a way that would have rivaled the wolf soul inside her had she still housed it.

"Is it done?" The sky rumbled in response to her question, a deep throated wail erupting from deep within the massive thunderclouds.

"It is done. She is under the illusion that we have her mate, and now all I need is her blood to bind you together." Vienna purposely left out the fact that her spell had one little problem; she already bound the goddess to herself.

Kore would have to answer to her before Ravenna.

Once she fully started to understand what she'd done, the air started to sing and then the unmistakable sound of wing beats echoed in the distance. Ravenna demanded to know what was happening, but Vienna could only laugh. A "full belly, grasp your sides in pain," laugh. Her burst of hysterics came to an eerie halt as the vile woman wrapped her fingers in her hair, wrenching her painfully up to her feet. A thunderous growl vibrated through their bodies as the woman pressed close, her breath hot against the side of the hybrid's face. Smooth lips and a silky tongue darted out to taste her flesh, and the helplessness she felt in that moment enraged her.

"You may think yourself clever, little witch, but you forget, I am the oldest of my kind. There is nothing you can hide from me."

Lethal fangs struck her neck before she could fully take in her words. Pain raged through her body and immediately she started to fight, kicking and screaming, scratching at anything within reach. Her eyes and skin were ideal, but even scratched to ribbons nothing deterred this monster.

Liquid fire poured through her veins and with a snarl Ravenna clamped down harder, visions flashing through her mind. This close to her, Vienna was no match for the elder vampire. She knew the some of the oldest of vampires had the ability to read minds and see memories through feeding, but some could do it without even sinking a fang in. Her mind was not strong enough to push back against Ravenna's attack as she tore through her metal defenses and into Vienna's memories. As she lost blood at an alarming rate, her body started to begin the stages of hibernation, shutting down.

Despite the excruciating pain that was her veins shriveling to dust under her skin, she felt peace knowing her family would be safe from Ravenna's wrath. The air hummed and vibrated, loud in her ears and her connection to Kore grew stronger, the pain of Ravenna's bite faded in the presence of such strength. Wind raged around their bodies and suddenly Ravenna let go, or was torn away, she didn't know which. Warm blood spattered the side of Vienna's face and neck. Unable to hold herself up, her body toppled to the side into an ungraceful heap.