Fifty One: Frenzy

Break My Heart Again

By: Mimi Webb

Dark hair whipped across Emilee's face as she stood at the edge of the pack's territory, overlooking the vast forestry below. Looking, but not seeing. Her heart ached as the face of a certain drop-dead gorgeous witch flashed across her thoughts, sending her wolf into a whining frenzy.

Clenching her jaw, she ducked her head and moved to turn away when someone stepped to the side of her. Swallowing, she followed every stitch and article of clothing from the feet and up, envious of the way it hugged her lethal form. Her hair was piled up on her head today, drawing attention to her sharp cheekbones and full mouth. Emilee's breath caught when she finally locked eyes with Camille, the breathtaking ring of silver surrounding her pupil never failed to captivate her at first glance. It was always intimidating to look into the eyes of someone more powerful than you. Yet on the flip side, Emilee's wolf wanted to meet Camille's eyes, because then to her their bond would be acknowledged.

"Going somewhere?"

"Enjoying the scenery." Emilee responded curtly, pausing awkwardly when Camille just continued to watch her, something predatory flashing through her eyes. "Did you need something?"

She stepped closer, causing breath to catch in the brunette's lungs. Her voice was low, soft, but everything about her demeanor screamed she was hunting. When she reached her, she stood so close their chests begged to touch.

"I wanted to check on you," she murmured, brushing the hair back from her face, warm breath heating skin that was so used to bitter cold. Her free hand brushed the hem of Emilee's shirt, teasing the skin underneath. Her breath hitched in response, the pleased grin on Camille's face only adding to the fire building in her core.

"You seem to be having some trouble breathing, sweetheart. Might I suggest mouth to mouth?" Emilee's mouth dropped open, a shocked laugh tumbling out her.

Camille held her gaze for a moment before the two burst into body-shaking laughter, eyes sparkling with mirth and stomachs aching. All too soon it faded, and with a jolt Emilee remembered who she was speaking to, and with that realization came another, who she belonged to. All of it came crashing down, and it was infinitely more painful than ever before. She was trying so hard to put this behind her, to convince her wolf that it was pointless, but every time she saw this woman, her body turned to mush and all she wanted to do was claim her, over and over again. The smile slipped off of her face and hardened into an icy mask.

Camille would never be hers.

She already has a mate. Heart aching, she turned away, forbidding the tears to fall.