Sixty Seven: New Order

"We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell."

-Oscar Wilde

"Dim"

By: SYML

&

"Running Out of Roses"

By: Alan Walker & Jamie Miller

A F T E R

I stood at the edge of the cliff, my feet steady atop the overhang, the thousands of miles of forestry in front of me never failed to catch my breath. My lungs seared with cold, sharp and lovely. My wolf sucked in the air with me, desperate to feel the soil beneath our paws and hot blood in our mouths. The evening sunset slid across my eyes as I turned, my fingers resting on my obnoxiously large stomach when I met the young mother's timid gaze. The little girl clinging to her leg thawed my heart bit by bit. Sienna bit her lip in embarrassment, hefting her daughter into her arms.

"I'm so sorry your highness, I didn't mean to," I interrupted her with a low chuckle.

"Azalea is just fine. You are one of us now, you may go where you wish." She blinked at me, gratitude filling her eyes.

"I've never had so much freedom. Maggie and I don't know what do with ourselves." She admitted, smoothing the adorable blond curls from her child's head.

I hobbled over to her, feeling much older than my twenty-one years as the ache in my back grew more pronounced. I sucked in a deep breath as the pain shot through me, grasping for the wall to keep me steady. Baby A, or our little Rueben as we'd affectionally named him, kicked my ribs ruthlessly and stole the breath from my lungs. Seeing my pained expression, Sienna rushed to my side, grasping my hand.

"Lean on me." She instructed, and I instinctively looked around for her daughter, finding her tucked close to our side and sucking her thumb. A relieved breath escaped me and I relaxed into her, letting her help me to the cave entrance.

"You should be on bed rest." She chided, leading us further into the network of caves. It was one of the last nights we would spend here, and I had forced my swollen feet out of bed while my mates discussed the plans of our move home.

"I second that statement." Elizabeth chimed in.

I grunted at them. "No time for bed rest when you have a war to win."

"Bed rest, now." Kore stated demandingly, and a wide grin spread across my face at the challenge she presented. Baby B, or my little Camille, shifted, shoving against my bladder. I winced and cursed.

"Stop that." I snapped, scaring Sienna. I waved a hand in the air. "Not you, sorry." She laughed, gently guiding me up the stone stairs leading to the alpha's chambers.

"I remember when I was pregnant with Maggie. The words I used to use with her..." she shook her head with a chuckle. "I would've never been allowed to become a mother."

We shared a smile of kinship and my heart warmed, the pack bonds thrumming steadily in my mind. I had yet to present Sienna with the opportunity to join us as wolves, as I didn't know how she would take it. Regardless, she was welcome here however long she wished to stay. About half way to my room, a body blocked our path. I looked up to find Camille raking her gaze over the young woman, softening on the child glued to her side.