63| Family

"Please tell me that's not Disney music you're playing." 

I opened my eyes and smiled at Ayden. I was laying on the couch in the livingroom and had my headphones on my stomach. "No," I answered. "Believe me I tried Disney, but the only thing that seems to calm him down is ACDC and Metallica." 

"That's my boy," Ayden said proudly as he came and got on his knees beside the couch. He placed one hand on my belly and he brushed my hair out of my face with the other. "How are you feeling?" 

I was currently twenty-three weeks pregnant. And boy, was I feeling it. I felt the backaches, the swollen ankles and feet. I was just hoping I didn't experience the Braxton-Hicks contractions. I've read about them in one of my pregnancy books that Jackson got me. Lemme tell you-- they didn't sound fun. 

"I'm okay. A little tired today." 

"Well, try to get some rest. I need to go and run a few errands then I'll be back."

"Errands?" 

"Yeah," he said a little awkwardly. "Just a few things I need to take care of. What are you feeling for dinner?" 

I frowned. Why was he being all mysterious? "Take out is fine. What errands, Ayden? And why are you being so weird?" 

He got to his feet and started walking towards the front door. "Do you trust me?" he asked as turned to look at me. 

My answer was immediate. "Of course I do." 

"All right then." He gave me a charming smile. "See you in a couple hours, Goddess."

A little while after he left, I got up from the couch and shuffled my way to the kitchen. I groaned as my body ached with each step I took. I opened the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water and an apple. I sat at the kitchen table and started flipping through a magazine. 

I debated going to knock on Nate's door a few times since I woke up. He told me last night he wanted a little time to himself. As the days went on, I've been getting more and more worried about him. He's been putting off starting his physical therapy and keeping to himself. If he didn't come around soon, I was going to take drastic measures. 

"Hey." 

I nearly choked on a bite of my apple when I heard Nate's voice. He stumbled into the kitchen slowly. He had a large brace on his leg and was using a cane to try and keep his balance. He was supposed to be using crutches. Stubborn ass. 

"Hey," I replied lamely. I was so surprised the he was here, I didn't know what else to say. 

He gestured to the empty chair. "May I join you?" 

I closed the magazine and sat up in the chair. "Of course." 

It took him a few minutes to finally sit comfortably. I wish he would stop being so stubborn and start his physical therapy already. The sooner he did, the better chance he had at getting back to the Nate he used to be. 

"So, where's Ayden?" 

"He said he had some errands to run."

Nate frowned at me. "Errands? Like what?" 

I shrugged a shoulder. "That's what I said. He told me to trust him, so I am. He's going to bring back food though." 

Nate snickered and I raised a brow. He rolled his eyes and flashed me the classic Nate smile I haven't seen in awhile. "It's just...I've never seen you, you know, eat this frequently." 

"Excuse me? I happen to be growing a baby."

He raised his hands up in front of him. "Hey! Forget I asked. My bad." He let out a long breath. "Look, what I'm trying to say is that-- pregnancy becomes you. You got this glow." He lowered his voice a little. "Are you happy, L?"