28| The Other Kind of Soul Mates

"Did you kick him in the nuts?"

I nearly choked on my piece of pineapple pizza. "No!" I laughed. "Believe me though, I wanted to." I shook my head at Harper. We were sitting around my coffee table as I caught her up on all things Adam and Alice. I knew I should have eaten soup, but when Harper came up with the pizza idea, I couldn't resist. My mouth watered at the dinner idea. I was freaking starving.

"I can't believe that she would hook up with Adam." Harper frowned and ran her hand through her hair. "Are you sure that it was before you guys broke up? Not after? I mean, she was your friend. It's hard to see her doing that."

"Oh, yeah." There was no mistaking that little chestnut. "She all but admitted it." I took another bite of my pineapple pizza. "You know, I should have left him-- No. I shouldn't have even dated him to begin with. God, was I so blind by my agony that I let myself get taken advantage of?"

I remembered the night I met Adam all too well. It was a week before the anniversary of my parent's death and I was getting lost in a bottle of rum at a bar. I ended up leaving my wallet there and Adam showed up at my apartment the next day to return it. Nothing was missing. Cash was there. Credit cards were there. To thank him, I took him to breakfast. I got emotional telling him the reason why I left my wallet and after that moment-- he latched onto me.

"You know what he was, Harp? He was a leech. He sucked, and sucked, and sucked, until all my Lanie-ness was gone."

Harper raised a brow. "Lanie-ness? How much have you had to drink?"

I flipped her the bird. "I'm not drunk. I wish I was drunk." I let out a long sigh before I looked up at my best friend. "Did you know that he was cheating on me? Did you have any suspicions?"

Harper leaned forward and met my stare. "Lanie, if I suspected anything at all, I would have gotten my stun gun, my binoculars, and followed that man with a camera to get proof. I love you too much to spare your feelings if someone was mistreating you. You deserve to know. Just like I know you would do the same for me."

I laughed at that. She was most definitely right about that. I wouldn't hesitate to tell Harper if someone she was with was being unfaithful. "Jackson would never cheat on you, Harper. That Greek God is lovesick over you."

Harper blushed at my words. She was pretty lovesick herself over Jackson. She took a sip of her wine then rested her cheek against the glass. "Yeah, I'm really lucky to have Jackson. Besides," she laughed, "he knows I would raise hell if he ever tried something like that for real."

I knew what she meant by that statement. She was referring to the time Jackson found out that Harper loved him. He freaked and Ryan, who she was engaged to at the time, told Jackson to end it with her if he couldn't admit his feelings. Jackson got scared and kissed another woman to push Harper away. It worked. A little too well. I had to go find Jackson in a hotel room and slap some sense into him. Okay, I didn't slap him. I just bitched at him. A lot. They still had their ups and downs like any normal couple, but they were completely in love with each other.

"You and Jackson just make so much sense," I told her and meant it. They just fit together so perfectly. If I was the type of person to believe in fate and destiny, I would say they were put on this planet to find each other.

"You know," Harper started as she got up from the table and went to the sink to wash her hands, "I can say the same about you and Ayden."

I rolled my eyes and took a sip of my Ginger Ale. It was just like Harper to meddle in my love life. No, Lanie. Not love life. I wasn't ready for that. Just life. She loved to meddle in my life. "Harper, don't start. Please."