60| Harvard

"Did he tell you anything else?"

"No, that's it, Ayden. I'm sorry," Jackson answered.

I managed to peel my eyes open and it took a few seconds before everything came into focus. Jackson and Ayden were by the door talking. Me? I was lying in a fucking hospital bed. Again.

"Okay. Keep me posted," Ayden said quietly. "Thanks, Jackson."

After Jackson left, Ayden leaned forward in his wheelchair and shut the door to my room. He didn't turn around, though. He just sat there, staring at the door.

"Hey there, Sergeant." Damn, my voice was raspy.

He snapped his head in my direction and I saw the tenseness and fear melt away. "There's my Goddess," breathed. He came over beside the bed. "How are you feeling?"

"Drained, I guess. Exhausted." That's when the panic set in. I sat up quickly and my hands flew to my stomach. "The baby! Oh, my-- is the baby--"

"The baby's fine, Lanie." He placed his hand over mine. "He's just fine."

My eyes went to Ayden's. "He?" I felt my face break out in a smile. "We're having a boy?"

I covered my mouth with my hand as a profound joy filled me. My chest tightened when I saw Ayden's eyes get teary.

"That's right, baby," he said in a ragged voice as he reached out and cupped my face. "We're having a boy."

Tears streamed down my cheeks as Ayden pulled me close for a deep kiss. I couldn't believe this. A son. We were going to have a son.

"He's going to look just like you," I breathed against Ayden's lips.

"Yeah," he chuckled, "with your stubborn personality."

We both laughed as I leaned back on my bed.

"You, me and Nate are going--" That's when it hit me. It all came rushing back. Jules showing up here at the hospital. Me trying to get rid of her. I barely remembered what she said. What stood out to me the most, was my brother choking on the ventilator.

"Oh, God. Nate! Is he--"

"Hey, take a deep breath," Ayden said firmly before glancing at the monitor that told him my blood pressure and heart rate. "He's okay, Lanie."

I tried hard to get my breathing under control. "He's...he's okay?"

"Yes. The doctor said that he was choking because he was starting to breath on his own." I stared at him blankly and he tried to explain it more clearly. "Babe, this is good. It means he's getting better. He doesn't need the ventilator anymore."

It took me a few minutes to try and process everything. I wanted nothing more than to have Nate wake up and be okay. "But he's still in a coma?"

Ayden's eyes told me the painful truth. "Yes. But try to stay positive. He's getting better-- not worse."

There was a knock on the door before Dr. Wilson came inside. "Lanie, we have to stop meeting like this." She smiled at me. "How are you feeling?"

"Tired," I said with a heavy sigh.

"Actually," Ayden added, "she said she felt drained and exhausted."

I rolled my eyes playfully. He was so protective of me, I could only imagine how overprotective he was going to be of our son.

"Yes," I said to the doctor, "I've been feeling a little drained and exhausted. The dizziness has been a little better. Well, except for today."

She recorded what I told her into her computer and was quiet for a few moments.