32| The Reality Train

"Can you believe we're actually here?" Danielle asked as we got to our designated area of the concert. "I mean, it's The Rolling Stones!"

Harper and I both shrieked with excitement. "I know!" I looked at the lanyard hanging on our necks. "I just wish Jaime was here."

"Me too," Harper answered. "She said something's been going on with her family and that's why she's been so M.I.A."

"Should we go over there or do something for her?" Danielle asked with a frown.

I shook my head. "No. She doesn't want us to bother her. When she's ready, she'll let us know."

Danielle shrugged and drank some of her beer. How I wished I could drink tonight. "So," she asked as she looked around. "I can't believe that Ayden surprised you for your birthday! That's so sweet."

I felt my cheeks heat and I smiled. "I know. I was definitely not expecting it." I wasn't expecting to be pregnant, either. But life was full of surprises apparently.

"Here you go, ladies," Nate drawled as he, Ayden, and Jackson joined us. Jackson was a welcome surprise. I didn't know he had a ticket as well. Ryan, unfortunately, was away with his father on business.

I took the bottle of water Nate handed me and passed Harper her beer. "Thank you."

Nate frowned at me before he said, "I'm surprised you aren't drinking, L."

I saw panic flash across Ayden's face, but luckily I had an excuse on the tip of my tongue. "Are you kidding me? It's The Rolling Stones. I don't want to be inebriated. I want to soak it all in with a clear mind."

"Well, alright then," Nate laughed.

A moment later the concert hall went dark and the fans erupted with clapping and screaming. Music came blasting from the stage as the band came out and greeted everyone.

"Good evening, New York City! How's everyone doing tonight?"

The answer from the crowd was a loud holler. "That's what I like to hear," the singer laughed into the microphone. "Let's get this party started with a little Sympathy for the Devil!"

As one of my favorite songs started playing, Danielle, Harper, and I were dancing to the beats in no time. I closed my eyes tight as I moved my body to the music. This was such an amazing birthday present and I was going to enjoy every second of it.

I pulled out my phone and started taking pictures. Some of the band and others were of me and my best friends. I recorded some of my favorite songs as I sang along. I knew when I watched them back, I would probably hear my own voice rather than the bands, but I didn't care. I was having an amazing time.

When they started playing Satisfaction, I started dancing and cheering even harder. Just as it got to the middle of the song, I was hit with one of my pregnancy symptoms. I needed to pee. I told Harper in her ear and she nodded. She took me by the hand and, before she could guide me through the crowd, I turned to glance at Ayden. His eyes were on me with a concerned expression. I mouthed to him that I was okay and gave him a reassuring smile.

Once we got to a quieter part of the concert hall, I pushed my hair back and fanned myself. "Whew. It gets hot around all those people."

Harper linked her arm with mine. "Oh yeah. Are you feeling okay?"

I was still catching my breath from all the dancing. "Yeah, I just need to pee. Thankfully my morning sickness, or all day sickness, is a no-show. For now, at least." I sucked my teeth. "One of the joys of being pregnant."

"You're pregnant?"

Oh...shit. Harper and I came to a halt as we neared the women's bathroom. We both turned to see a gaping Danielle behind us. "Uh, well--"