55| Kodak Moments

"Do you think we should end up making that guestroom in the house into a nursery? Or should I keep the baby in my room?" 

I looked up at Nate from the magazine I was reading. He still hasn't woken up yet, but I've been here every day checking on him, talking to him, and making sure he wasn't alone. When Ayden was finally discharged, we stayed at Harper's for a couple nights before we finally moved back into my house. The first night we stayed there, it was bittersweet in a way. I was a little upset that we were there without Nate, but I was also extremely happy to finally be back home with Ayden. 

Today, I drove us to the hospital early this morning. Ayden needed to get a little exercise in with the therapist and I wanted to spend time with Nate. Besides, Harper needed a break. She stayed here last night so Jackson could get some rest. All my closest friends had been alternating shifts to help with my brother. I had no idea how I was going to repay them, but I had to think of something. 

"So, what do you think?" I asked Nate again. "Yeah, you're right. I should probably keep the baby in the room with me at first. Then maybe use that room as a nursery. Or," I said as I pointed to Nate, "when you and Ayden are better, you guys might be able to kind of build a nursery or something. You've always been good with that construction stuff." 

I sat the magazine down before I got to my feet. Now that I was getting close to the fifteenth week of my pregnancy, I had more energy and a bigger appetite. I grabbed a piece a fruit from the little bowl a nurse brought me before I walked over to Nate. I stroked his hair out of his face and smiled at him.

"You know," I said quietly, "Ayden told me that, if the baby is a boy, you wanted your name in there somewhere." I straightened the sheet covering him. "I think that's a good idea. I like it as a middle name. We haven't talked about first names yet. We want to wait until you wake up. I know you're going to tease me and veto a lot of the names." I chuckled at the image. "I can't wait for that."

The beeping from the machine drew my attention and I looked over at his vitals. Being stuck here for this long, I learned a few things. Plus, I had the added benefit of a boyfriend who was a doctor. I knew enough to know when Nate's blood pressure or oxygen was at a dangerous level. Right now, he was okay. The latest update from his doctor was a positive one. The doctors thought they nearly had the entire infection gone. They explained it could still be a few weeks before he woke up. If he woke up.  

I absently rubbed my belly. I really hoped that he was here before the baby was born. I couldn't have this baby without both Ayden and Nate here. I needed them. They were the two most important people in my life -- aside from the baby, of course -- and I couldn't do it without them. 

The door to Nate's room opened and Jaime came inside. She handed me a cup of coffee and flashed me a grin. "Hey, girl! Don't worry," she said when I eyed the coffee, "this is decaf. I felt you could use the pick-me-up."

"You are a goddess," I breathed as I took a sip of the coffee. 

Jaime snorted as she sat down in one of the recliners in Nate's room. "I think that's you, Lanie. Isn't that what Ayden calls you?" 

I blushed at her question. I loved when he called me that. "Yes."

"How are you guys anyway?" 

"We're good. It's still an adjustment period. It's a little weird because we are officially living together." I waved my hand around. "It's blowing my mind, Jaime. It feels weird. Not in a bad way, but I have to keep telling myself that he lives there." I took another sip of the delicious hot coffee. God, I needed this. "I guess I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. Before, when he stayed at my place, he had to leave to go back to Afghanistan. He's not leaving now. It's just...different."