17| Insomnia

"So, that whole battery thing was crazy, huh?"

I choked on my drink when I heard Nate's question. I finally got to spend some time with Nate and we came to a local Café.

His expression was concerned as he started patting me on the back. "Whoa, you okay?"

No. "Yes," I answered with a rough voice. "Drink went down the wrong pipe." I cleared my throat a few times before I answered his original question. "Yeah, I wasn't expecting my battery to die. I replaced it not that long ago." I was also not expecting to have sex with Nate's best friend.

He sucked his teeth and leaned back in his chair. "It's winter time, little sis. Sometimes it can really fuck up your car." He cracked his knuckles. "Ayden didn't give you a hard time did he?"

What was this, an interrogation? No, I reminded myself. He's just being a brother. Breathe, Lanie. Breathe. "Not at all. He's a gentlemen."

Oh, yes he was. After our night of sex that left me extremely satisfied, we ended up falling asleep together. This time, Ayden was still in the bed when I woke up. On the way home after we finally got a battery, we had another talk about our situation. We both agreed to stay friends and make sure no one knew about this. Especially my overprotective brother.

"Good," Nate said as he lightly punched his hand. "I would have beat his ass."

I laughed at that. "I'm sure you would have." There was no doubt about that. Nate took pride in being a big brother. If anyone ever messed with me, he would wipe the floor with them. When that whole thing happened with Adam, it took a lot of begging from me to keep Nate at bay. Adam probably would have ended up in the ICU, and Nate would have been discharged if assault charges were filed.

He wiped his face with a napkin before he kept his eyes on me. I took a bite of my Cuban sandwich and gave him an annoyed look. "What? You're staring."

"Sorry," he laughed. "I actually wanted to ask you something."

Oh, God. "Please tell me you aren't proposing to Jules!" I think I would die. Literally die.

His eyebrow went up so high, they nearly disappeared in his hair. "What? No! Hell no!"

"Oh, thank God," I said with a relieved sigh. "I would have killed you."

He laughed before he leaned forward and rested his arms on the table. "It's about tomorrow." When he saw the blank look on my face he added, "It's New Year's Eve."

"Aw, come one! Do we have to?" Just what I freaking needed.

"L, I'm leaving in two days. It'll be nice to bring in the New Year with our friends. We don't have to go out. We can have the party at our house. You can invite Danielle, Ryan, Harper, and Jackson, too."

When he looked at me with those puppy dog eyes, I rolled mine. "Fine. We can have a party. But you're in charge of getting the flood this time. No cooking. Just order something."

"You're the boss," he said with a cheesy grin.

Yeah, right.