Chapter Twenty-Three

Bakugou POV:

I dodged another one of Compress's attempts to capture me, blasting his hand. I flipped over Twice's whip and landed on my feet, but then had to duck Toga's slashing knife.

"Goddamnit, just leave me the fuck alone!" I screamed.

"That's not very attractive." Toga pouted and tried to stab me in the gut. I jumped back and kicked her in the neck.

"To hell with every single one of you damn League Villains." I sneered and blasted a ring of explosions around myself.

I launched into the air far above the villains' heads. I had to get out of here somehow... my presence was making it hard for All Might to fight.

The second I landed, I heard a loud blast. It wasn't All Might this time, but a wall breaking... and a path of ice shooting across the sky... and Iida and Deku... and Kirishima. Kirishima was here.

Iida, Deku, and Kirishima sped up the tall spire of ice and flew through the air.

"Come on!" Kirishima held down his hand.

A grin spread over my face. My senses were on fire. I could smell every burning particle around me. I could see all the way up to Kirishima's pleading face. I could hear the song playing in the city.

Unsteady. Ha, what a shitty song. How perfect.

Shigaraki reached for my arm, but before he could make it to me, I released the biggest explosions I had ever produced from both of my hands.

I shot into the air and through the sky. My arm pushed against the cold, sharp air, but I forced it up and forward. My hand clasped onto Kirishima's.

"You idiot..." I grinned at him.

"Hey Bakugou." Kirishima said.

"What, Shitty Hair?"

"'If you love me, don't let go'." He smiled teasingly, repeating the lyrics to the song that got louder as we neared a landing point.

"Well I'm not gonna fall out of the fucking sky!" I snarled, but I was smiling too.

"Oh, okay. If you say so." Kirishima squeezed my hand even tighter.

"Yeah, Hair-For-Brains." I squeezed his hand in return.

________

The broadcast showed All Might torn up and bloody. Deflated. Weak. Fighting against a man with the strength of a hundred quirks.

He didn't stand a chance. There was no way he could win, but he did anyway.

And when he did, he pointed at the camera. "You're next," he said.

He was saying that someone was next, some great hero that would take his place. But no one had to be 'next'. If I hadn't been so fucking weak then All Might wouldn't be like this.

It was all my fault

My fault.

My fault.

Why wasn't I stronger?

Why was I always the one who was left helpless while others suffered?

𝕨𝕠𝕣𝕕 𝕔𝕠𝕦𝕟𝕥: 𝟜𝟟𝟝𝕚𝕗 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕝𝕚𝕜𝕖𝕕 𝕚𝕥, 𝕡𝕝𝕖𝕒𝕤𝕖 𝕧𝕠𝕥𝕖 <𝟛