15. - A Promise Of Forever

Present Day

Eli took a break from the telling of his story, not because he was tired or thirsty but because of the part, he was about to tell Raine and her friends. During the telling of the story, one by one came out to listen until his wife joined them and helped him with their love story. She revealed things that no one outside her family knew. It felt right to tell the girls what really happened, he had a feeling they too needed advice besides Raine.
He turned to his right where his wife sat on the porch swing with his daughter, patiently waiting for him to continue. What he was about to say, she didn't even know about. This was the only secret he kept from her. Everything worked out in their favor but he still felt guilty about that night. 

"Baby? What's wrong?" she asked aloud. Automatically a smile bloomed on his face, the same way it did back when they were teens and every day with her by his side. "I love you, J," he returned. 

"I know that, silly. I love you too. What's going on in that head of yours?"

Rising to his feet, he moved across the deck and crouched before her. "No, my love. Listen carefully. I. Love. You. Since I was sixteen I knew you were special and that somehow I would have you in my life. We fell in love at a time where it was either about color or money but we stayed true to each other and had so much faith in each other that it rivaled most marriages. It's because of that, we are here today. Married, three great kids, a family that keeps on expanding, successful businesses, and pure happiness. If I never... If I... didn't do what I did..."

It clicked for Janine when she saw how vulnerable her husband became, he was struggling to tell her what was on his mind and it pertained to one of the worst nights of their lives.

"What did they do, Eli?" she asked in a whisper. Her heart was racing too fast, that night was one night she wanted to forget but it was the night that molded their future, their present. Placing his head on her lap, he took a deep breath and told her everything.

                                                                           *******

1988
Carlisle Mansion

Eli knew right away he was out of his league when the cab he took to this affluent neighborhood stopped at the address Janine gave him. Standing on the curb, he didn't press the intercom nor look around the neighborhood with interest, he simply stood beside the lamp post trying to calm his nerves. 
When Janine approached him that morning with so much excitement in her eyes and voice, he didn't have the heart to tell her that something was up. She was gushing about how her mother was actually listening to her and complimented her instead of criticizing her. He heard enough about Cora Carlisle to dislike the woman but Janine longed for the type of mother/child relationship he had with his mother and what she knew other kids had. Having her mother be interested in her relationship and in her likes was a dream come through for her. Coming to this dinner was all because he loved her immensely. At seventeen, he knew what was love and he had it with Janine. After tonight, all he wanted is to have a worry-free, drama-free relationship with his woman. 
Running his fingers through his wild brown hair and prayed to the gods above that something goes right for them, this time. Stepping forward he pressed the intercom button and was instantly answered by a cold polite voice. 

"Carlisle Residence. How may I help you?"

"I'm Eli Johnson. A guest of Miss Janine Carlisle for tonight's dinner," Eli responded with a roll of his eyes. Those were the exact words J told him to say, he jokingly said that she was trying to make him sound posh, he regretted when a frown marred her face. She only wanted him to be accepted by her folks and he was making an ass of himself.