A Promise of Forever

It was weeks before Eli can truly say he spoke to Janine on a personal level. The scene wasn't ideal but to him it was imperfect. The early weeks he spent at St. Lawrence challenged him not only mentally in his academics but also socially. She was right, the classes kept them all busy and they were hard work. Eli found himself learning more and being able to question his teachers' lessons without being sent to the principal's office. His teachers also placed challenges on him when they took note of his yearning need to learn more and his determination to be better. Extra lesson packets were given to him before class and homework differed from his classmates.
As for social challenges he made one or two platonic friends but found himself at the bottom of the food chain. His being there on a scholarship placed him in the 'poor and unworthy' category, the few who took turns in pointing out his position at the school and their dislike of him were the same over and over. Their daily taunting and middle school pranks were random which left him alert constantly. He ignored them most of the time, Eli knew he wasn't responsible for anyone's actions but he was getting annoyed by their interference in his day-to-day school life. He noticed a pattern between them and saw Janine randomly. Whenever he spotted her in the halls, she was either purposely being distracted by whoever friend was by her side or she was extremely busy.

Seeing her, even at a glance brightens his day, there was something that attracted him to her on a whole different level. It was similar to a crush but stronger in an unexplainable way, Eli wanted to explore it but first, he needed to meet Janine on a personal level. 

The bell has just rung, ending the second period of the last school day. He couldn't wait to go home and take a much-needed rest. Commuting to school, the coursework plus taking up odd jobs at his part-time job were all taking a toll on him but it will all be worth it in the end. His family was supportive in every way. The younger ones were sticking to the schedule which not only makes their day flow easier but gave their mother peace of mind knowing her kids are fine. Eric took an evening job at a local diner to help with expenses, not only his but his siblings. 

Walking towards his next class, Eli hitched his backpack higher on his shoulder and pushed his wire-rimmed glasses further up his nose. With his classwork becoming heavier and always on the go, the need for his glasses became a priority. The anti-glare lens was changed thanks to his mom and he was thankful, no more migraines, or the need to stop frequently during his studies.
Pushing through the throng of students, he happened to spy the one person he longed to see two periods back. Building the confidence to approach her, he made his way over to her. Janine was busy searching her locker for something that was possibly not there and it was stressing her out. Eli felt the need to ease her stress and bring a smile back on her face. "Janine," he called out to her, mindful not to startle her. 

"What!" she answered in annoyance not looking at her visitor. 

"Need any help?" he asked with a smile on his face. Janine stopped her frantic actions and finally registered the calming voice. Slowly moving from behind the open locker door, she felt her face flush when she looked up at him. His green eyes were bright and made her lose her train of thought. She realized she was staring too much and probably looked like a fool to him. His cheeks had a flush to them when they both stepped closer to each other. "I... uh... I think I've misplaced a library book and I need it for a special project," Janine said nervously.

"What's the name of the book? Maybe we can find another copy and pay the fine for the lost one," he suggested.

"Ummmm....I..." Janine didn't know if to tell him about her secret project or not. Only Miss Marisol knew about it and was giving her the chance to try her hand at something new. To avoid anyone breaking down her confidence she kept quiet on it.

"You don't have to tell me the name. I probably have seen the cover once or twice though. My mom is crazy over that kind of books," he teased.

Janine caught his line of thought and laughed at his silliness. "It's a woman thing. Don't tell me you read them," she pressed. That's when his cheeks got redder, sticking his hands in his slacks, he bowed his head in adorable embarrassment.