4.

Erica found herself uneasy and filled with guilt throughout the remaining time of the class. It was hard to concentrate when the boy you once had a crush on thinks you're a grade-A bitch. She wanted to go over to him and ask for forgiveness but she was torn between being seen as a good person or staying loyal to her new friend. Thinking of Bree she quickly checked her phone, forgetting that she sent a message earlier. Erica's shoulders relaxed when she saw the reply in the notification list.

Bree: Unexpected troubles. Be there for lunch. Wait for us by the door. Don't forget it's your treat today.

Erica: No problem. Giving ya a heads up. Your ex is here.

Bree: 🙄 coming a week late for the new semester is a thing for his whole family. Another sign of being entitled. I regret ever being with him.

After reading Bree's text, Erica's feeling of guilt dissipated somewhat. She was excited to have her friends at lunch. Being alone in a new environment made her feel so exposed. The need to have a connection was desperately needed.
Keeping the phone hidden, she was able to answer questions Bree asked her and still listen to Mrs. Costas.

"Elijah, care to give us a quote or a line from the book you chose for your project?"

From the mention of his name, the entire class, including Erica, turned in the boy's direction. He was slouched over his desk, a large novel in front of him with gold wire-rimmed glasses perched on his nose. He grinned in Mrs. Costas's direction who raised an eyebrow in amusement in return. A private joke between student and teacher? Erica mused. She had to admit the guy looked much cuter with his glasses. "Hard to choose, Mrs. C," he teased.

"So much like your sister. Don't tell me you chose more than one book," she said sitting on her desk. Erica's eyes widen at her teacher's words. She liked to read like the other person but to write more than one book report, which was plain old over-achiever tactics.

"Ummmm..... It was hard to choose." Elijah, along with his family was an avid reader, and thanks to his older sister, he became hooked on all things Harry Potter. He can remember quotes of wisdom from the infamous fictional headmaster, Albus Dumbledore. One quote from the man stood out to him over the past summer holiday and it stuck with him all now.

"Give us one. Let's see how good you guys are at expanding your interest to different genres," Mrs. Costas said folding her arms across her chest.

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live," he said solemnly. The tone of his words made one think about the quote itself and why it brought such a serious look on his face. 

"Words to live by and words each one of you should be thinking of as you prepare for your future. Any takers as to which book he got that quote from?"

"Harry Potter and the philosopher's stone," Erica said aloud. She didn't mean to, she wanted to claim indifference to the brown-eyed boy who had the look of confusion and uncertainty on his face. He was the enemy, she shouldn't be noticing how his eyes on her made her feel deliciously uneasy. Elijah Johnson was no good. Her friend's broken heart and bitter outlook were the testimony to his unthinking and disgusting actions. 

"Correct. I've read that first book numerous times and highlighted that quote of Dumbledore, promising myself to take the wise old headmaster's words to heart. Elijah, will you say the same? Do the words of Dumbledore reach out to you?" Mrs. Costas said. Moving his gaze from Erica, Elijah nodded yes to his favorite teacher. 

"I'm looking forward to your report...." 

The bell rang ending the teaching block and cutting off her words. With a hapless shrug, she stayed on her desk and watched as her students gathered their things and left the class. A few approached her with questions leaving three of her students lingering in the back. 
Gathering her bag, Erica left her seat to go toward Shaun. When she turned to where he normally sits, she saw him moving towards Elijah who had a blank look on his face. She found herself going closer to meet Shaun but she knew she wanted to hear whatever they were talking about. Shaun was Natalie's sister, isn't there some code to go by with friends and exes, then she remembered Shaun and Bree's volatile relationship.