13.

Ayanna: Wait for me by the main entrance. I'll be there in ten minutes or less.

Erica sent a quick reply to her new friend and opted to sit on the top stair and get a head start on some of her Math homework. Ayanna asked her to be her companion to the learning center she tutors at on most afternoons. Selby usually helps out but for the three days of the last week, she was a no show. Erica knew the friends were worried about Selby, despite her new behavior and her tie-cutting of their friendship, they were silently waiting for her to come to her senses but Erica knew it may never happen. She was an observer and had seen it too many times back home. It's all about self-preservation. Selby believes in her judgment and won't allow outsiders to her relationship to place doubt on her judgment. After all, it was her life. Ayanna, Raine, and herself spoke over the phone about the situation between Selby and Harem. The two girls filled her in about the duo's friendship to its dire end. From her perspective, the group was more mature than the average teenager, maybe it was their upbringing or the people they look up to probably their personal views of the world, Erica realized they were loyal to each other. They stood with Selby when she justified her love for her boyfriend but still gave their take on him in a loving manner.
 Raine believed she will come back but needed to figure her shit out, Ayanna was on either side of that wall, the boys... well the boys were neutral.
 Mischa was more vocal in his opinion. He didn't want Selby near his cousin after she made her choice.
Elijah quietly gave his views which made Erica smile softly as she did an Algebraic equation. The timing was off. That was what he said. Harem's timing was off plus it was said with desperation for belief and in a very heated situation so obviously Selby wouldn't believe him. If he did tell Selby his feelings outside of that, she would still stay loyal to Derek. In either situation, Harem will come out as the underdog. 

"Wrong person. Right time" Erica muttered to herself. Selby and Harem weren't meant to be, the drama between them was proof enough. Friends maybe but not a couple. 

"Talking to yourself, Island girl." The crass voice of Natalie reached her. She ignored the girl and continued her equation, relief when she was nearing the answer. She wasn't a fan of Math but found out she had a penchant for it. "Someone has found popularity and thinks she's too good to talk to anyone beneath the rich and famous. Someone from a third world country and thinks she can cash in on the golden boy," Natalie continued. Erica stayed silent and went on to another equation. The harsh push of her head then the vision of her backpack tumbling down the stairs, spilling her books and other things in the process, lit her temper. Taking a deep breath, she gathered the books in her lap and tucked her phone in her jeans pocket. She eyed Natalie who was standing above her with a smug grin on her face and her arms folded across her chest. Erica finally noticed two other girls behind her, dressed similarly to their friend, they too wore smug grins.

'There it is' Erica thought to herself, 'The cliched prima donna bullies.'

Standing to her full height, she heaved a heavy sigh and prayed to the lord her bad side won't show. She had no qualms with her and Bree, she was good with her twin Shaun, the guy is a damn saint plus she couldn't figure out why they hated Elijah and his friends. Yes, they were filthy rich but that's their parents' hard-earned money which they built for their kids' future. Isn't that what most parents do? Maybe it's something more.  Rolling her shoulders, she prepared for battle.

"Yuh alright?" Erica asked adopting a nonchalant stance.

"What's that suppose to mean?" Natalie returned.

Pinching the bridge of her nose in annoyance, she focused on Natalie and her cohorts. "De whole ah last week yuh ain't bother me. Been good inno. Now outta de blue, yuh upgrade to a frickin' cunt. Wah yuh want?"