Epilogue

Christmas Day

The Hollis House

Another major holiday in her new home and new experiences to partake in.  It was the most talked-about day for the year besides one's birthday and Erica was sitting near the window of her home lost on the snowy white view outside. 

Her first white Christmas.

Her father informed her of the chance of having lots of snow on the ground for the season, but she didn't mind. The opportunity of experiencing it was all that mattered to her. Outside wasn't like the movies she loved to watch, but it was good enough for her. Pulling the new blanket her father purchased for her on a whim, tighter around her body, she smiled at the memories she could now hold dear. 

Tree picking was a first for her. The trip to the lot with her father was amusing and eye-opening. It was indeed a family outing plus a 'father knows best' duty. They had specific things they looked for in the perfect Christmas tree. Kids who accompanied their parents were either taught what to look for or given a chance to find their version of perfect. It was fun people-watching that afternoon. Julius gave her the honor of choosing her tree, which took over the living room.
The scent of the tree  filled the room; it was decorated with ornaments she chose and a few handmade ones by her friends and herself. The tree was tall, stout, and full of foliage; Erica was trying to ignore the stress of taking it down after New Year. The colors of blue and silver shone against the room lights and the twinkle lights her father painstakingly chose. Below the branches, neatly stacked on the seasonal tree skirt, were gifts from her family and friends. Those were opening after the breakfast her father wanted to prepare for her. He wanted to spoil her on their first holiday together, and she couldn't take that away from him. Her stomach grumbled at the smell of hot chocolate and the smoky aroma of ham. 

"Ah wonder if dey have chow-chow up here. Ah could do with dat, yes," she muttered to herself. 

Going to her phone to pass the time, she chuckled, seeing the voice notes from her Tobago friends, knowing they were either sleep-filled Christmas Greeting or edited versions of parang song. 

Wait.

Erica paused in going through her messages. "Daddy yuh have Sprangalang Christmas song here?" she shouted towards the kitchen.

"Yeah, and some mixes. Dey on de Alexa playlist," he returned.

"Thank Gawd."

"Alexa play Island Playlist," Julius called out. 

'Now playing, 'Island Playlist.''

It wasn't long when the familiar strumming and intro began by the late Trinidadian singer, Sprangalang. From muscle memory of years singing and dancing to the song, Erica started her own reenactment. Her father was practically crowing the drawn-out parts in the kitchen. Dancing around the room, she replied to messages from everyone.

"De sorrel ripe.... de ginger beer green... wah is dis? Is dog chow?!" The two bellowed that part on instinct. The song was a toe-tapper at any time, no matter the season. 

After two songs, countless pictures were shared back and forth; breakfast was ready. Erica ran into the kitchen to see the spread her father created.  Freshly baked pumpkin bread, sliced ham, fruit salad, sweet bread, and that cocoa tea straight from the fire. "It have..." she started as she situated herself before her laden plate.

"Chow-chow? Yuh granny made and mek sure she sent some for us," her father answered, revealing it from behind his back. 
Chow-chow was pickled vegetables used as topping/dressing for ham or pastelles - another Christmas food. 
Julius took his seat and helped himself to his plate, loving the happy look on his daughter's face. It brought him a greater joy when he informed her of sorrel juice he began to make and the pastelles he made while she slept.