8.

"Erica! Girl, you go be late for your own wedding. Yuh know what time it is?"

A frustrated growl left her pouting lips as she tried for the hundredth time to get her hair in the perfect bun. Sitting before her vanity with the needed combs, brushes, and hair products, Erica eyed the still loose bun on her head which felt and looked messy. 

"Ah cyah get mih hair to look good," she shouted at the door. 

"Alright. Ah coming in," her father said before he knocked twice and opened the door. Julius's shoulders slumped with pity when he saw how defeated his little girl was. It was a look he saw so many times on his sister's faces when he was growing up. They all wore their hair long and to do quick styles or to get the picture-perfect look was always a stressor for them. His mother so many times had to step in to help them, even roping him and his brother to learn a thing or two about females with natural hair.

"It's okay, baby. Leh me help. Later ah will give you, yuh auntie dem number so dey can teach yuh how to plait yuh hair. Who used to comb yuh hair back in Bago?" Julius asked. Taking a wide-tooth comb he began to gently comb through her thick mass, section by section.

"Mih friend mudda. Normally it in ah ponytail," she answered softly. Her focus was on the mirror before her, she watched on as her father sectioned off her hair, applied natural oils to her scalp then protective hair lotion to the lengths of her hair. Shifting to her side he held the top half of her hair away from the back of her head before neatly braiding two tight cornrows upwards. When he reached the center of her head, he used two gold hairbands and tied them off. He then placed his undivided attention to the front, using a soft hairbrush, he placed her hair in a neat and slicked ponytail. "Ah won't even ask why yuh mudda ain't help yuh," Julius muttered. Erica's eyes widen when he created a perfect bun from the ponytail, then used the now twisted ends of her cornrows and created coils around the bun. Putting the final touches on, making sure her baby hairs were slicked done perfectly. 

"Oooooo. Thanks, daddy. Who teach yuh to comb hair?" she asked inspecting the quick updo he did. Putting on her jewelry, she stood up from the vanity and appreciatively took in her perfect choice of outfit. She looked great and was comfortable in everything. 

"Yuh granny. Yuh get everything? Coming back home and change for yuh date with Elijah Johnson?" Julius laughed raucously when he saw her blush at the mention of her date that afternoon. Grabbing her bag and phone, she hid her face and rush past her father. "Stopppp!!!" she whined. Julius followed her out of the house after securing the house. He was still grinning when he entered the car, she was so easy to taunt. 
"We going to the flea market after school," she finally answered. 

"You will like their flea market. Dem doh have plenty clothes and ting like wah you used to. Dey have real nice things ah know you might like. Here. Put dat with yuh vex money," Julius said handing her a few bills for her date. 

"Thanks. You good wid me going out wid him right?"

"Yeah. Just doh let dat girl, train up yuh head with ol' talk. Dat whole family off," her father grumbled. Erica wanted to ask why he thought Bree's family was weird but something deep in her said to let it be. She was mainly focused on how today will play out. It will be wrong to flat-out ignore Elijah when they've been talking all night and excited to see each other at school. Not to mention their... 'outing'. In her mind, it was a date but she understood why he was apprehensive in going all 'light on your toes' new dater around his cousin. 
Poor guy. 
Her heart went out for Harem, Erica saw how devoted the guy was to Selby yesterday even if her rude boyfriend was next to her. Elijah relayed how crushed he was before he left the house for some 'alone time'. The whole group's dynamic was falling apart. She wondered if she should still talk to Selby or ignore her because of what she did to her best friend. Releasing a heavy sigh, Erica already felt drained and the day hasn't started yet.