14. - A Promise of Forever

Present Day

Raine was shaking inside watching Travis, her longtime crush and the one boy whom she fell for head over heels, approach her lunch table. Her friends were quietly encouraging her and building up her confidence knowing how clueless she becomes whenever Travis is spoken about or around. It was the last day of another school week and they were all enjoying a meal together discussing the ongoing problem with Taylor and other developments surrounding Selby. During the week, Raine ate lunch with Travis on Tuesday and Thursday. Though she spent the entire lunch period in silence and her one-sided conversations, she still felt happy just eating with him. He accepted her lunches but only eat a few bites then threw away the rest. When he first did it, her face heated in mortification and her heart ached painfully. She ignored that in hopes that he will come around. Now watching him approach her, she wondered when is she ever going to see him smile. Travis moved like the weight of the world on his shoulder but pride won't let him show his pain. His brown eyes were on her and Raine felt like she was under a microscope. She took good care in not dressing too provocative and not giving off the 'fuck me' vibes. Makeup was a no these days, she went natural and not only felt good about it but to show Travis the real her.

"Excuse me everyone but can I speak to Raine, please?" Travis asked her friends.

"Sure, dude," Harem answered for the group. Raine gave him a small smile of thanks and grabbed her backpack. Travis already gave him a nod of thanks and led the way out of the school's cafeteria. Giddily she followed him down the hall and into an empty classroom. So many things were running through her mind but the only thing that was at the forefront was Travis giving her a chance. 
Standing before him as he eyed her, Raine squirmed under his scrutiny. 

"You don't have to do this anymore," he said gruffly.

"Do what?" she asked confused about what he was saying. Travis made the distance between them even wider and tucked his hands in his jeans. Boldly, she took in his body, though he wasn't an athlete he had the body of one. He was taller than her by a few inches but the way he stood and the expression on his face made her feel like a bug. 

"We both know what I meant. Being fucking charming in front of your friends was my part being played. I'm giving you a cop-out?"

"A cop-out?" Raine repeated trying to wrap her mind around his statement.

"I know your IQ isn't that low to mimic a parrot so let me tell you outright," he countered. She flinched outwardly by his gruff insult but stood her ground.

"I need you to fuck off. Leave me alone. Tell your friends you won whatever bet you all have running and leave me the fuck alone. I don't need your type of playing with my head again. You rich entitled spoiled bitches are one of this world's biggest regret. Stop ordering food for me like I'm a beggar. I don't need your company with you yapping in my ears constantly. Stay away from me. If you approach me again I won't hesitate to embarrass you in front of the whole student body. I'm not playing your games. I. Don't. Want. You. Girls like you make me sick."

Raine's eyes never left his as he harshly told her off. She heard every word he said and tried not to let them affect her but they did. Her heart was in pain, her mind was begging her to release the pain in her heart but she refused. What she couldn't stop were the tears rolling down her face. The guy she wishes to have something with basically called her a vindictive coldhearted bitch in one breath after her efforts of showing him the real her.

Travis turned his head away from her, not wanting to see her cry. He attempted to leave the class but her pain-filled voice stopped him. 
"Who did it?"

"What?"

"Who hurt you?" Raine asked over a lodged sob in her throat. It was only a second but to her felt like hours before he answered her.