"Sorry, Mom," I mumbled with a sigh. 

It's been two weeks since I heard the news of Cole taking Amy to the dance and I was trying my best to get him out of my thoughts, but he was like a pesky fly that wouldn't go away.

My mom sighed. "Well, mistakes happen. You'll know better next time and add more oil with less heat," she said and then we heard the phone ring. "Would you mind answering that? I'll clean up here."

"Okay," I said and trudged towards the house-phone. "Hello?" I asked as I put the receiver to my ear.

"Hey, Lizzy!"

I immediately recognised the voice. "Hey, Richard. What's up?"

"Nothing much, just that my football friends are having a little get-together tonight and their girlfriends are also invited."

"That's cool, but why are you telling me?"

"Well, everyone still thinks we're dating for real so ... It'll be kinda weird for me to show up alone."

"Oh, yes," I said and hit my forehead lightly. "Sorry I spaced a moment."

"Are you okay? You've been a little quiet lately."

"I'm fine."

"Okay ... So do you wanna come?"

Did I? No, I did not. I was still experiencing my first heartbreak. You can't blame me for not wanting to go out and pretend to be in love with someone else. Honestly, I don't know how people can have rebounds.

"I'll have to ask my mom," I said instead. 

Maybe I should go out, see some different people. It couldn't hurt.

"Yeah okay, sure."

"Mom!" I called and a moment later I saw her head pop out the kitchen archway. "Richard asked if I could go to a party with him. Is that okay?"

I bit the inside of my cheek, already dreading her reaction. She is the kind of mother to do a complete investigation before she gives a verdict. 

"A party?" she asked and I saw her brow furrow. "Is Richard still on the line?" I handed her the phone. "Hey, Richard," she greeted.

"Morning, Aunt Carol," he replied politely.

"So I hear you're going to a party? What kind is it?" she asked getting straight to the point.

"It's not really a party, more of a get-together with friends, and we were allowed to bring partners." 

I strained to hear his side of the conversation without appearing too obvious to my mom.

"And where will this take place?"

"A friend's house."

"Will there be alcohol present?"

"I don't think so, but I won't let a drop touch Lizzy, ma'am."

Mom was silent for a moment and I felt my heart beat loudly in my chest. 

"I'll hold you to that," my mom said evenly. 

My eyes lit up in surprise. "Mom?"

"Yes, Lizzy. You can go. You've been a little out of sorts lately so a time-out will do you good, but I want you back by ten-thirty. Is that clear?"

"Yes," Richard and I said in unison.

-

Richard and I had both been shocked that my mom gave in so easily, but even though my mother was a stress-pot I knew that there was a good reason she didn't want me going out at night - the night time driving.