Chapter 32: Jake

*Two Weeks Later*

-Jake's Point of View-

My eyes started to open and everything around me looked fuzzy. There was a soft beeping next to me and the breathing tubes in my nose. I looked over to my right and saw a lady standing there in light blue scrubs. Her hair was up in a high ponytail and she was writing on a clipboard.

Slowly I started to sit up in bed, my body was sore and there was a white cast on my left arm. I winced in pain and the lady looked over at me. She dropped her clipboard and then walked out into the hall.

"Dr. Nemur!" She called as she kept glancing back at me, her eyes wide. I was pretty confused, she was looking at me like I was a zombie.

Suddenly a man ran into the room and stopped in his tracks when he saw me. "Mother of god." He said quietly as he looked between the nurse and I.

"What's going on?" I asked, I was confused and the words formed weirdly in my mouth.

"Mr. Barlowe. Do remember what happened the night of the accident?" The doctor asked as the nurse picked up her clipboard and started to write quickly.

"I got in a fight with Taylor." I said, closing my eyes and trying my very best to remember.

"Yes you did. Anything else."

Everything was fuzzy. Words were difficult to form. And that beeping noise was hurting my head.

"Trevor." That was all I could say. The doctor looked at me a bit confused but then he walked over and did some tests. Then both he and the nurse left. I was alone in the room and I had time to think.

Taylor had a son. She never told me. Grayson was the dad. I'm sure it didn't take him 2 years to ask her out. They should really be together. I was just in the way. I needed to start over. Everything was falling apart.

                                                                                             ~

"Mr. Barlowe, I have some good news." He said and he was smiling.

"Yes?" I asked hopefully.

"We are going to let you go. We think you are stable to go home."

I smiled and looked down at the bed. "You will need a ride though." He continued.

"Oh alright."

"On your papers it has a Taylor Loyn listed. We are just going to call her and she shou-"

I cut him off. "Would you call Laurie Millis instead?"

"Yes." He lowered his eyebrows in confusion, but didn't question it. I gave him Laurie's number and he left to make the call.

I don't know why, but I didn't want to see Taylor. Not now. I needed my space.

Then a nurse came in and helped me get unhooked from all of the machines and brought me some clothes. I stood up and my legs felt shaky. Luckily for me I hadn't broken my legs. When I asked her about my injuries she told me I had a broken arm, I had severe bleeding in my brain and I had broken my nose. She also said that they originally didn't think I was going to live.

I felt unbelievably lucky at that point. I didn't even know how to respond so I just stood there. Finally Laurie walked in.

When she saw me, she started to cry. Laurie was the last person I ever expected to see cry and she was crying her heart out. Her hands were covering her mouth and she ran towards me, wrapping her arms around me in a tight hug.