Chapter 29: Taylor

-Taylor's Point of View-

"It's going to be okay." Laurie said quietly as we sat in the waiting room, tissues and empty coffee cups all around us. The hospital
smelled too clean. I hated that smell, it reminded me of Trevor.

Laurie's eyes were puffy and red. She had been crying as much as I had, I think we both assumed that there was no way that Jake would make it out of this. I looked over at her and noticed that she was trying to play Angry Birds on her phone. I guess she was trying to distract herself, something I had personally given up on.

It was around 10:30 and nothing could distract me. I tried walking around but I just ended up turning around and sitting in my chair. I tried talking to Laurie but then we started to cry. I tried sleeping but then I just woke up with a jump, almost screaming. It wasn't worth it.

I pulled out my phone and realized that I had a few new messages. All of them from Andie. 'Did you tell Jake about Trevor yet?' 'Why aren't you responding!?!' 'Is everything OK, Taylor?' I looked over the messages and then decided it would be easier to explain everything over the phone instead of trying to text it to her.

I looked over at Laurie, who was too preoccupied with her game to really care what was going on with me. So I pressed the numbers on my keyboard until the phone started to ring. I waited for 5 whole rings, I was about to give up when finally a familiar voice answered.

"Taylor! Thank god you are alright, what's going on? Why aren't you answering?" She demanded, and she sounded extremely worried.

"Well Jake knows about Trevor now." I said, kind of quietly because Laurie was still sitting next to me.

"Yeah I know."

"Yeah he came home and he was so ups-" Then I paused thinking about her words. "Wait, why do you know?"

"Umm no reason." She said and I could hear her shifting uneasily.

"Andie. Did you tell him?" I started to get angry, worrying that maybe my own sister had betrayed me.

"No! As soon as Jake found out he called me." She said quickly, "I would never do that to you."

"Why would he call you?" I wondered out loud.

"He wanted to know what to do? Taylor he was really upset."

"You don't say." I mumbled, sinking into my seat.

"So continue with your story." She said trying to change it back to the original subject.

"Fine." I took a deep breath and then started, "He came home and I was playing with Rex. Then we got into a fight about everything and then he left. And I was sitting at home crying when Laurie called me-"

Andie cut me off. "Wait who is Laurie again?"

"Laurie is Jake's assistant."

"Okay, continue."

"Anyways Laurie called me because she was talking to him on the phone when her call cut out." Then I started to tear up and I knew the waterworks were coming. "Jake got into a car accident."

Then I started to silently sob. Laurie didn't even glance at me, but I saw the tear run down her cheek.

"What!?" Andie yelled into the phone and her voice became shaky. "Is he.. Is he alive?"

"Yes." I said as the tears kept falling.

"Oh my god." Her voice was muffled like a hand was covering it. "I'm so sorry, Taylor."

"Andie, what if he isn't OK?" I asked, my voice barely audible. Then something happened that I wasn't expecting. Laurie reached her hand over and grabbed mine, squeezing it tightly. I started to cry again and Andie kept saying encouraging things.