"Okay, Lanie. You are in the eighteenth week of your pregnancy. While it's good that you are out of your first trimester, I still want you to try to take extra precautions, okay? Your pregnancy is still high risk and I'm trying my best to make sure you carry this baby full term."

Ayden tensed and he squeezed my hand. "Trying your best? So you're saying there's a chance that she could go into preterm labor?"

Dr. Wilson's expression was pensive. "Yes. More importantly, you are at high risk of preeclampsia. We need to monitor your blood pressure regularly. As often as we can. Do you happen to have a blood pressure machine at home?"

"Yes," Ayden answered immediately. When the doctor arched a brow at his tone, he let out a shaky breath. "I went to medical school. I'm-- I'm an MD. I have a whole med kit at home."

That was a surprise to me. Well, I knew he went to medical school, but I didn't know he kept a med kit at our house. It also appeared to be a surprise to the doctor.

"You're a doctor? May I ask where you went to med school?"

Ayden looked even more uncomfortable. "Harvard."

Dr. Wilson also seemed to notice that Ayden didn't like talking about his medical background. Instead of pressing him further she said, "Well, Lanie is in great hands then. Check her pressure twice a day. If its concerning, please call me. We want to do everything we can to avoid preeclampsia or any other conditions that can hurt the baby or Lanie."

"You got it, doc."

Dr. Wilson started walking towards the door to leave when she turned around and looked at me with a stern expression. "I want to keep you overnight tonight, Lanie. Just to monitor you and the baby. I see no reason why we can't discharge you in the morning."

Even though I wanted to leave immediately and go to Nate's room to see that he was okay for myself, I knew I didn't have a choice. Besides, the safest thing was to do what she said.

"Thank you, Dr. Wilson. For everything."

The room was quiet after the doctor excused herself. I had so many questions for Ayden about his medical background. Not to mention, a few other things. There was still a lot I didn't know about him. While I trusted him completely, I still wanted to know these things.

"Ayden..."

He stroked my hand with his thumb. "Its okay, baby. You can ask me anything."

Where to start? "So, Harvard?"

"Yeah. I ended up getting a full ride there and completed medical school."

"That's amazing, Ayden. Why aren't you proud of that?"

His brows formed a deep V. "I am. I am proud of it."

"But you refused to be a doctor."

That's one thing that confused me. He told me when our relationship started that he didn't want to follow down his medical path and become a doctor. But he never told me why.

Ayden had trouble finding his words. His pained expression told me he was battling some kind of inner turmoil.

His voice was ragged when he finally spoke. "I told you I was in love once before. Before I met you."

"Yes."

"Her name was Jill. I met her during my second year of medical school. I wasn't trying to get into a relationship at the time. I wanted to focus on graduating and hopefully getting a job at a good hospital. But we had a connection and we started dating."