36. Hope

5.28.20

Ally's POV

"Allystar! Run!" I snapped to attention at his words, and when I looked down, the grass was wilting. Alex... Oh God. I ran as quickly as I could through the forest, but I made sure that I still had a good grip on the little baby in my arms. I don't even know his name, but I do know that he needs to survive one way or another. I finally made it up the stairs, but child was crying. I stopped to try and halt the heart wrenching noise, but I should have kept going. If only I knew then what I know now.

When the patrol group approached, my heart clenched in my chest. Alex was writhing in their arms, and I saw him attempt to bite at someone more than once. As soon as he saw me, he tried to lunge towards me, but he was luckily grabbed before he could bust free. The little child began to cry again from the fright, and I began cooing to keep him calm. Seriously, what are we going to feed this thing?

I assumed that they had gotten Alex wherever they were intending to get hem when my father came back out. "What's wrong with him?"

"There's something that neither you or I have experience dealing with. I've heard of it before; it's come at me before. It's known as the darkness. He feeds on your dark thoughts and consumes you if you let him in. I think when Alex knew about Ash, it shoved him over an edge he was already teetering on. I don't know how to get rid of it." I handed him Alex's son, and I saw his posture soften. "This is one of the things that hurt me the most about thinking he was dead. I thought that his kids would never get to see the sun."

"Kids?"

"He originally had twins. I don't know what happened to the other one, but I don't want to trigger him anymore."

"I want to find where he stayed. I want to thank them for taking care of him for so long."

"I don't think that's a good idea. They must have kicked him out for a reason, Ally, and even though he's back, we need to continue your training. I don't know how long he's going to be stuck."

"We probably should."

***

It's been a month since Alex came home, and he still wouldn't talk to anyone. I would look in on him sometimes, but he just stared at walls. No matter how much food we tried to push him, he wouldn't take it. "This is going to sound like a stupid idea, but I'm going to visit Alex."

"Ally, you know he won't talk to anyone." Vic's arms curled around my waist, but I stood up from the bed. My training was beginning to come to a close, so I was definitely more hands on with the pack.

"That's the thing... I might bring his son."

"Ally! What if he hurts the baby?"

"He won't. I know he won't."

"How are you supposed to know that for sure?"

"Lucky guess?"

"Fine, but I have to come with you and you have to ask your father first."

Dad had been spearheading the whole take care of the child idea because we all knew how happy he was to have a grandchild, so I don't think he'll approve of me bringing the child to Alex. None of us knew what to expect anymore from him, to be honest.

I walked down the corridor with Vic's hand in mine, and I could hear my father cooing at the child through the door. I knocked lightly on the wood, and it only took a few seconds for the knob to turn. "What's up, Ally?"

"I had a plan to get Alex to talk, but you might not like it..."

"Spill."

"I was thinking... Maybe if we bring him his son-"

"No. No way. I won't let you endanger your nephew like that."

"I'll make sure that he's safe, Dad. I need to do something!"

"Fine... But if this child has as much as a hangnail, I'll feed you to the wild animals."

"Thank you!"

I took the month old baby from his arms, and I made sure to talk to him as we walk down the hallway. When we approached Alex's little prison, I could already hear someone trying to draw words from my brother. No one was able to get through his little funk, but I hoped I could.

After about 10 minutes, a hurt looking Winston came out. As heartless as he makes himself out to be, I knew how much he cared about the people around him from the way his face looked. Vic squeezed my upper arm before pushing the door open, and I slowly walked in. The energy of the room was dull, but I chose to ignore it. I didn't know how hard it is to lose a soulmate, but I did know that he was hurting.

"Hey, Alex." I stepped over the still full food plates, but he didn't respond to my presence at all. "I brought someone to see you." At that moment, the little child in my arms let out a whine, and I saw Alex perk up slightly. "I figured you would want to see him after all of this time. Uh, don't worry, we've been taking care of him. Our father barely let me bring him down here, but I managed to convince him."

"Dan- Daniel. His name is Daniel." I smiled. One victory for me, suck on that!

"That's an amazing name, 'Lex. It really suits him."

"You think so?"

"Mhmm."

When Alex rolled over to look at me, I could see the changes in his face. His eyes were darker and downcast, and there was a frown etched onto his lips. However, when he saw the bundle in my arms, I saw the battle inside of him. No matter what other people think, I know that he's still in there close to the surface. Little Dan produced a joyful shout at the sight of his father, and I saw the ghost of a smile on Alex's face. "Can I hold him?"

I thought for a moment. I had a feeling that he wouldn't hurt the child, but would I ever get Dan back if I put him in Alex's arms? "You have to promise me I can have him back, and I want to see you eat some food."

"I'll do anything." I crawled forward until my knees were touching his. It was a risky move, but I wasn't going to risk being further when I was giving an unstable Alex a baby. So many expressions crossed onto his face when he held Daniel, but I could see the fight happening in his mind. "Thank you."

Vic shoved me one of the fresher plates across the floor, and I lifted up the little plastic plate. I gently sat the food into his lap, and I took Daniel out of his arms to free up his hands for the ham sandwich. His reluctance was obvious, but he managed to eat the whole thing once he got the first bite down. I gently rubbed his head, and he leaned into the touch. Clearly, he's just extremely lonely down here by himself.

"I'll be back tomorrow, okay?"

"Bring Daniel."

"Don't worry, I will. Get good sleep."

"Bye."

"Bye."