23. Harsin Coven

5.22.20

Alex's POV

For some reason, everyone thinks that just because I'm 5 months pregnant, I'm a useless member to society. I can see when I get much closer the concern that I could go into labor while doing duties, but as of right now there was no reason for me to not be these people's alpha!

"I can get that, Alpha," one of the omegas offered from beside me while gesturing to my bag.

"For the love of God I am not helpless!" All eyes turned towards my outburst, and the poor omega was shaking on his feet. Stupid mood swings can go screw off to the moon. "Sorry, it's not your fault, I'm just very frustrated with everyone thinking I'm helpless."

"I know you're not helpless, baby." Ash's arms wrapped delicately around my chest, and I spun on my feet to glare at him.

"What did I tell you about staying in bed!"

"I just didn't feel like it."

"That's not a rea–"

"Who went after their father even though he wrote not to?" My eyes cast on my feet at the shame of his statement.

"Me. But that's totally different! I am your soulmate and I told you–"

"Are you forgetting that I told you not to go after Tony?"

Suddenly, one of the warriors burst through the doors. "Alpha, Luna, we have a problem!"

"What is it, Dilon?"

"Marcus called to give us a progress report about the conjoining process. He's having serious problems convincing the older, more important members of his coven agreeing to merge, and it's getting so bad that he's being undermined in his own coven. He's having similar issues to the whole... Samuel incident. We're worries that if he is able to be overthrown we'll have dangerous neighbors again."

"I'm going over there."

"Alex it's too dangerous. What if you get hurt!"

"Ashton, I'm not a helpless little child. This whole thing is my project, and I think that they need to hear from me as the original bridge between the vampire world and that of werewolves."

"Fine, but I'm coming with you."

"You're still hurt!"

"And you're carrying out children. We're both trying to protect each other without getting anywhere, so you're going with me or I will lock you in the bathroom with no metal."

"Fine, but just so you know, we'll watch each other's backs the whole time. As long as we're together, we're unstoppable. If we're split, we're both as good as dead."

"I wouldn't have it any other way."

Ash and I called Marc to let him know we were coming before setting out to go save his ass. "Let me carry you there."

"Why?"

"It's dangerous for you to shift to your wolf in your current state, and other than that the fastest way to get to South Carolina is me carrying you there." I sighed deeply before wrapping my arms around his neck. "Jump!" At his command, I defied the force of gravity to let his arms link underneath my thighs.

When he ran through the woods, nothing was visible to me except for a green blob, so I had to wonder if he was actually faster than me now that he had been practicing. I remember exactly how wounded his pride was when I beat him at school races, but I hadn't run against him since. Even though we were sprinting through the woods, Ash's breathing was even, and I enjoyed the rhythm of his breathing since he didn't have a heartbeat. His scent was so appealing, and I felt one of my children kick at my stomach from the close proximity of its father. That's right, I forgot to tell Ash about the twin thing!

Finally we reached the grand house of Marc's coven, and Ash let me down. We walked up the steps in unison to find the doors totally unguarded. "Do you think something happened?" The eerie silence around me had my hairs standing on end, and I already had my body in a position to fight.

"I don't know. We should get to Marc's office."

"Something is not right here, Ash. I can feel it."

"Then we'll exercise caution, but we told Marc we'd meet him in his office!"

"Don't say I didn't warn you."

We walked through the silent halls until we reached his office, but when we walked in, no one was there. "It's like they all just disappeared from the face of the earth."

I heard the lock slide closed, and my whole body jumped into Ash's. "It's a trap."

"We're going to be fine, it's just the mansion being o–" A loud hiss came from our right, and I saw a 50 year old man stalk out of the dark corner.

"You were saying!?" Another one came from the left, and I pushed my back right against Ash's with a loud squeal.

"Intruders in the mansion," a bone chilling, feminine voice leered from the door.

"Where is Marcus?"

"Don't worry, he's somewhere... Safe. We will not allow you to trash the reputation of  the Harsin Coven with your 'new ideas'. We are a great coven, and the likes of you can hardly compare. Your pack was created by a group of rogues taking over because they're power hungry; the Harsin name has been around for centuries dating back to early American colonization. We are willing to propose an idea... If you'll take it."

"I'll consider it."

"You give us the vampire; it really isn't good for him to be hanging around with so many wolves, and we'll let you walk out of here with your life. That and we won't ruin your cute little pregnancy."

"He'll take it." I looked at Ash in shock, but his eyes were pasted on our shoes. "Let him go, and I'll go with you willingly."

"Aww that's so cute! Get the wolf out of here, and hold onto this one."

"Ash–"

"Alex, listen to me. I need you to keep yourself and our pack safe. Please don't overwork yourself, and I'll see you as soon as possible. I love you."

My arms were grabbed, but I didn't fight because I knew it would just make Ash feel worse. The door began closing, and I saw Ash's beautiful blue eyes turn away from my face with a hard look in his swirling irises. I was dragged out of the mansion and thrown down the stairs, but I hardly felt anything. My feet dragged while I sulked out of their lands, and I didn't really have the energy to do anything. However, I need to get off of this awful land before I'm caught and taken into custody again.

By the time I crossed the scent markers, I wanted to curl up in a small hole and die. My body collapsed into a heap on the dirt that may or may not have been my own land, I didn't know. My nose was hardly functioning any more over the funk of losing Ash. Suddenly, I felt someone lift up my body, but I didn't even have the energy to shift my body to check who it was let alone escape if it was a bad presence. Words were floating over my head, but nothing was making sense because my body was getting weaker and weaker.

I remember being set on a soft surface before slipping into the oncoming darkness that called to me.