22. Reality

5.22.20

Antony's POV

Alex collapsed from the strength of his powers, and I wanted to run out there to make sure that he was okay. However, I was locked in this stupid cell! The feelings of pent up rage and claustrophobia I felt inside was beginning to become visible on the outside when I twisted my fingers around each other, and I could hardly think around my own mental barriers.

When I felt a hesitant touch on my bicep, I was blind enough that I growled lowly and snapped my teeth at the offending hand. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I was currently stuck in the funk of my mind with no light at the end of the tunnel. Suddenly, I was absorbed into a firm chest, and my struggles to break free were cut short.

As soon as I recognized that it was Jackson, my entire body sagged down into his. I hate it when I lose myself like that, but what can I do? I just don't like being powerless to help the people around me; it makes me feel like my existence has no meaning at all other than to hurt. My body continued twitching scarily, and it was scaring me more than anyone would realize. My reality was slipping, and I hardly recognized that I was moving until I was set down on plushy grass.

Someone was whispering in my ear, but I couldn't figure out who they are or what they're saying. Fresh air ran in and out of my nose at a quick rate, and I was finding it hard to calm myself down from this little episode. Suddenly, my eyes locked onto chocolate ones, and the light appeared at the end of the tunnel. I fought my way to the top of my mind before taking control of my body once more. My whole being sagged against the dirt, and I managed a weak smile at Jackson. "Sorry about that," I stammered. "Sometimes I just lose my sense of reality when I feel powerless."

"It's okay, we'll get through it together. The pack already left, so we get to be travelling buddies again!"

"Still, I'm a little bit appreciate to go back."

"Isn't this the path of thinking that made problems what got us in trouble?"

"Yeah. I know that I shouldn't degrade myself this much, but I'm a horrid father. We both know it. My child basically raised himself to maintain a good personality, and I just wanted to destroy it."

"I know that you're able to get better, Tony. I'll help you if that's what it takes, but we'll get through this. I'm past caring about whatever stupid shit you say because trust me; you're no saint. However, you're my soulmate. It's my destiny to help you figure out how to live again and unblock whatever mental barriers you have right now. Just because we have a late start doesn't mean that we can't fix this."

"Why do you even waste time on me? Why not just go back to your wife?"

Jackson's jaw clenched, and I was worried he was about to shout before I noticed the tears in his beautiful eyes. "She cheated on me." I sat up from my position on the floor with concern, but almost as soon as the tears had gathered in his eyes, they were gone. "I'm fine. That's a time which is dead, and I'm with you now. She can go have her stupid child with some other guy."

Even though he was trying to hide it, I could see the sadness in his eyes, so I curled my arms around his neck. "You don't have to hide the fact that you still have some feelings for her. Trust me, I know how hard it is to be cheated on, and it took me 12 years to move on."

"We should get back. I want to go to bed early tonight since my back hurts like hell!"

"I have idea to travel faster, but if it makes you uncomfortable, we don't have to."

"What is it?"

"You could ride my wolf?" Said wolf was spinning in circles in my mind with its tail whipping back and forth. He had never gotten to interact with Jackson as his mate except for when we fought, so I could understand his feelings.

"I would love to! What's his name?"

"Vincent, but he says you can call him any time." Even I cringed at the ridiculous pick up line, but my body was already shifting into its wolf. Vinny took control, and I watched as he ran around Jackson yipping like a little puppy. I fell in love with the way Jacky's eyes lit up at the sight of my energetic wolf, and it felt like we were teenagers again. Back when nothing could pull us down; back when everything was so much easier.

I remembered our first kiss like it was just yesterday. His eyes were so bright in the light of a thousand stars, and I can recall his innocent look. We were both just two teenage boys assuming that we were on top of the world, but then we were caught. Our world came crashing down on us, and I had caved in with it. I allowed that negativity to squish my happiness out of my mind, and I became cold and uncaring.

When I refocused on my surroundings, Jackson was rubbing behind our ear, and Vincent had his muzzle pushed underneath Jacky's arm. "We need to get home, Vinny."

My wolf whined quietly before dropping onto his stomach. Jackson slid a leg over our back, and his arms squeezed my neck to keep himself on my body when we ran. Vincent started at a slow trot and sped up until he was sprinting through the woods. Jackson's arms got tighter around our neck when we jumped over a fallen tree, but I could hear his musical laugh telling me that he wasn't too frightened.

The scenery of the forest made me feel overly calm. There was a light breeze running across the wood, and even though there were no leaves on the trees, I enjoyed the sound of the wind whistling through the branches. Leaves crunched underneath my paws, and their texture was soothing to me. The first time I shifted, it had been in the middle of a snowstorm, so I had always been much more in tune with the colder winter.

Of course, it didn't snow much in Georgia, but whenever it does, Vincent takes control and rolls around in it. Having Jackson this close to my body soothed my heart, and I never intended to hurt him again. I would sooner die than make Jackson feel bad either physically or emotionally myself.

Just outside of the border for my pack, Vincent slowed down and crouched for Jacky to climb off from my shoulders. As soon as he was clear, I shifted back into my human form before hugging him tightly. I could feel his skin against my skin, and it was causing my whole body to tingle pleasantly. "I want to make this work."

"Me too. I will devote my life to you, Antony Canfield, as long as you don't make it a one way fight."

"I'll do my best. I love you."

"That's all I ask, and I love you too, idiot."