Twenty-six

Chapter 26: Obviously Oblivious

Amber

Back in 1897, a Russian psychologist called Ivan introduced a method to which animals, like dogs, can be trained. When I first heard this, I believed that Ivan might be just the one who launched it in the field of formal psychology but I was somehow certain that the pet owners back in the days and even mothers are already using this method quite instinctively.

The famous experiment goes when Ivan rings a bell whenever he feeds his dogs. Throughout time, even without the food, his dogs salivate upon hearing bells ring. According to him, they associate the bell ringing to eating time, conditioning them to think dinner is to be served.

Some of my classmates back then laughed upon the idea that the same method of classical conditioning by Ivan Pavlov applies to humans. But I am deeply amused thinking that Pavlov might be victoriously grinning at his grave now upon seeing these dumb teenagers celebrate and pack up the moment the school bell rings across the hallways.

Not many years later after classical conditioning's introduction to psychology, there was someone audacious enough to test this experiment on an actual human being. In 1920, John Watsons tested the said method with a baby he called "Albert". Maybe old enough to be considered a mobile human but definitely young enough to even speak for himself.

The experiment involved a white rat and a loud metallic clang that is designed to scare the poor little boy. Initially, little Albert was not scared of the tiny furry animal. However, since its pairing with the loud metallic clang that the baby seems to consider as a horrible thing, he associated the white rat with fear due to its side-by-side presentation. A child who had previously liked and attempted to pet a white rat, was later conditioned to fear it.

I would never grow fond of this tale because I am displeased with the questionable experiment myself. Some dude just thought it necessary to traumatize a baby. John Watsons must have been foreign to the idea of ethics. He may not have inflicted tangible injuries to the child, but it certainly did untold harm to that poor kid's brain. I do not have any idea if it is legal back in the 20th century but basing on how it was shamelessly recorded and recognized, it must have been legit.

Moreover, I personally consider that the dude totally screwed up. I found out that after the experiment, not only Albert is afraid of white rats, he eventually became afraid of everything that is of color white. How conveniently evil that is.

In 1990s, at last someone was smart to enough to somehow upgrade the introduction of knowledge in the field. It was in the identity of Fredric Skinner. With Pavlov as the foundation, Skinner presented the idea of Operant Conditioning. In here, the concept of reinforcements is introduced-- which I found very simple but interesting.

It is a simple as providing either reward or punishment basing on a stated demand. And Skinner needs no John Watson to experiment on another Albert because I am certain that parents from all ages are already acing it.

And right at this very moment, I am quite not sure why Luhan is giving me a background in psychology—which I obviously already know a lot about. He was trying to explain to me why I am truthful, submissive to uniformed personnel, and uncomfortable with the concept of disobedience and disloyalty. I am not sure how and when Luhan knew, but it felt awful that I cannot argue against it.