ELEVEN (ISELEN POV)

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing..." I answer averting my eyes while Jasmine chuckles amused sat next to me. I think I've been watching Ruby quietly like a stupid for at least five minutes and they've all noticed it. It's a nice day out and the Irish car has decided to close the library for the day to be able to come and sit at one of the tables in the garden, near the greenhouses, Erin brought snacks from the commissary and we've been eating, chatting and enjoying the sun. It's lunch time and the yard is almost empty but we're still here, nibbling at some cookies and making plans to get some new movies and organize another girls' night.

"Can you hand me a bottle of water?" Ruby asks shaking her hands to get rid of the chips salt on her fingers and Glenna obeys her. Her knuckles look good again, thank God, they aren't as swollen and bruised as they were a week ago when she came back to the library with a straight face and the uniform stained with blood that wasn't hers. Moina's hands looked even worse but I didn't dare to ask and just handed them the bag of ice. I found out what happened later because of some conversations whispered in the bathroom and cafeteria: apparently, the girls who tried to attack me with the boiling soup were in the infirmary and they'll need a lot of time to recover, someone talked about broken bones... I moved away because didn't want to know more about it. I'm aware that things in prison work like this, you can't afford to look weak or you'll pay the consequences, and Ruby has a reputation to uphold here but my life has changed a lot these past months and all the violence in this environment is overwhelming and unbearable sometimes.

Although there're good moments too... Like that night when a beautiful and naked tattooed goddess took advantage of the darkness in our cell to get undressed and sit down on my face, tugging at my hair to keep my mouth where she wanted it despite her fingers were sore, the way her hips shook and she gritted her teeth to hold back her moans drove me almost crazy and her sweet taste coated my tongue when she collapsed on top of me and kissed me deeply. Ruby slept hugging my torso while I rubbed her back gently thinking that maybe yes, maybe I'd be able to bear all that violence around me in exchange for more perfect nights with her.

"I'll be back in a minute..." My girlfriend gets up followed by Moina and moves closer to one of the greenhouses where an inmate gestures to grab her attention discreetly, they both start whispering and Ruby nods; they're negotiating a smuggling drop that officers wouldn't approve, probably. The girl's friends maintain a respectable distance while she talks with the Irish car boss and that reminds me...

"Glen, why are you so scared of her?" The blonde woman blinks surprised by the abrupt change of subject and the entire table remains silent, staring at me bewildered. "The whole prison walks on tiptoes around Ruby, officers pretend they're looking the other way when she gets closer... I understand this is because Owen has her back and he's the real owner of this place. But I don't understand why you're so nervous when she gets angry or why Adara told me she was dangerous... she's her cousin and your best friend. Do you really think she'd hurt you?" The girls fidget nervously on the wooden benches till Jasmine sighs.

"Come on, Glen, she has a right to know... Ruby's her girlfriend."

"You're scaring me now..." I whisper while my back gets tensed and they exchange anxious looks.

"Are you going to cheat on Ruby?" Glenna asks bluntly and I stare at her horrified.

"Of course not! You know I'd never... I care about that woman... I wouldn't... Do you really think that of me? I thought we were friends, that I was a member of the Irish car..." Erin puts her arm over my shoulders trying to calm me down.

"It's not that, Iselen, seriously. We know we can trust you... What Glenna is trying to tell you is that, if you remain loyal to Ruby, she'll protect you and will take care of you. You don't have to be scared."