TWENTY-FOUR (ISELEN POV)

"Is that all?"

"Isn't that enough?" I look at Pilar in shock while taking the chef jacket off and hanging it on a hook behind the door. "I've been here the entire morning and taught you how to make five recipes of my grandmother, from her famous beef and vegetable casserole to her hazelnut cake, I need some rest... and your kitchen helpers need the kitchen clear to make lunch for your clients."

"Okay, you're right, I'm sorry... But I'm so excited because things are going so well, The Hussy Fairy it's always been a popular place among the Company members because it's Ruby's favourite pub and Jasmine used to sing here every Friday night, but it's been always crowded lately and we're earning lot of money without dealing drugs. I think people like my food... We even needed to hire another chef to be able to cope with the increased workload because of the takeout orders."

"They love it, Pilar, you make delicious food," I confirm taking my bag and the beautiful Latina nods smiling.

"I want to try new recipes to maintain the clients' interest, I want them to come here to try food and beer instead of going back to the back room business, you know." My friend shrugs awkwardly. "I understand that not all the businesses Owen controls are legal and I'm grateful to Ruby because she let me join the Irish car but... I don't want to go back to jail, not even to a sweet camp like Bayview, and there're many people watching us closely right now, police officers and prosecutors are waiting for us to mess things up again and screw us up. If the pub is profitable and we don't need to go back to the drugs dealing, I'll feel way better..."

"I completely understand, honey." I get closer to hug my friend and I heave a sigh wearily, it's very hot in this kitchen and I've been working hard for hours. "I'll give you more recipes next week, maybe you can do a survey and ask clients which dishes they prefer to keep on the menu or maybe you can organize the Mexican food month, the burger month, the barbecue month, with special offers and new recipes every few weeks... Clients won't get bored."

"I'll think about it... Come on, go now, I bet Ruby's waiting for you to have lunch or something... Where are your bodyguards?" Pilar opens the door and takes a look around the pub, confused because she knows my girlfriend doesn't let me walk out of the house without Ronan and Patrick following close.

"In front of the pub, waiting in the car... They know this place is safe and preferred to stay outside watching the street and the vehicle in case someone tries to put a tracker or a bomb under the chassis... I don't know, everybody is a bit paranoid since Nessa's christening even if things are calmer lately..."

"Understandable... Take care of yourself, my friend, and thank you for the recipe of chicken with peppers. It'll be a great success..." I smile and wave my hand to say goodbye to her and Seamus who's behind the counter pouring beers and talking to everybody, I think this is how he manages to meet so many interesting people that helps him later with his business... The red-haired boy winks at me before turning around to talk to a client sitting on a stool while I walk towards the exit thinking about visiting Adara before meeting my precious girlfriend for lunch.

"I'm sorry, madam, I believe you dropped this."

"What? No, that's not mine..." I answer surprised. A tall and slim young man is blocking the pub door and holds a white envelope between his fingers, he keeps his face in the shadow and I blink blinded by the light coming from the street that surrounds him like a halo.

"Yes, I'm sure it's yours..." I shake my head and open my mouth to explain that I didn't carry an envelope in my bag but he cuts me off raising his hand even more. "I think you really need to read what's inside." I straighten my back instinctively when hearing the subtle threat in his tone of voice and my fingers grab my bag harder, feeling the bulge of my Glock 42, but I feel safe because my bodyguards are out there and they'll come if I call them and Seamus is behind me with some members of the Company ready to fight. The boy in front of me is quite young, he wears jeans and a white T-shirt and doesn't look like a gang member or a police officer but, what do I know about these things? He could be a professional killer sent by Robert's family although I doubt that, he would've stabbed me already in that case, he wouldn't offer me a stupid envelope.