TWENTY-TWO (ISELEN POV)

"How's your first day out?" Glenna asks while we walk down the street towards a red brick building, the traffic noise is really annoying: vehicles, police sirens, dogs barking too, children crying... I can't help grimacing, I don't miss Bayview but I'd forgotten how chaotic New York can be.

"Very well," I answer out loud so she can hear me. "I've slept better than ever before, Ruby's mattress is soft as a cloud... and very big." My girlfriend chuckles because she knows I did something more than just sleeping and puts her arm on my shoulders while we keep walking. Glenna nods in response.

"I understand that perfectly, Moina had to bribe me to persuade me to get out of bed this morning... She made crispy bacon for breakfast, can you believe it? I couldn't resist the delicious smell..."

"Oh yes, how cruel of her..." Ruby opens her eyes wide pretending to be horrified. "So you both have decided to live in her apartment."

"Yes, it's bigger than the shoe box I rented when I broke up with my boyfriend, most of my stuff is still in cardboard boxes so it'll be easy to move them... Look, Iselen, that's The Hussy Fairy." The Irish girl points at a building made of red brick, a door made of wood and glass with a golden brass handle and a black sign with golden letters. Windows are wide but some tall plants in pots hide what's happening inside the pub.

"Gorgeous... Why are you so nervous?" I ask confused when Glenna grimaces and takes a look back over her shoulder at Moina who's chatting lively with Erin.

"This is our first time," she answers and Ruby frowns, confused too. "The first time we're going to show up in public as a couple, you know what I mean... I guess they all know Moina and I... we're an item but before going into prison we were only friends and I don't know how they're going to take it... It's possible that my ex-boyfriend is inside the pub right now... The situation is a bit awkward..."

"Glen, it's okay, look at me... I'm gay and the members of the Company knew it long time ago," Ruby shrugs and smiles. "Things aren't the way they used to be years ago, some idiots will frown maybe but, who cares? They can go to hell..."

"I understand, boss, but I didn't know I was gay before going to Bayview and spending some time with Moina. Everything was relatively easy in prison and I assumed my family had accepted it after so many months but I get the impression they're all waiting for me to meet a guy and start dating him now that my life is normal again... I wonder if all the Company has the same perfection... It makes me feel insecure."

"But you're sure about your feelings for her," I reply and the Irish girl nods firmly. "Ignore them and focus on your beautiful love story with your girlfriend. Ruby's right, they can go to hell... And besides, according to Adara they're all eager to meet me and I'll be the centre of attention for a while, that makes me feel anxious but it'll be good for you since people will get used to see you together while they monitor my movements." Glenna smiles and looks relieved even if I feel on the verge of a nervous breakdown when Ruby opens the door and steps aside to let me in first.

"Thank you for offering yourself as the victim of this sacrifice, boss consort, Moina and I will buy you a beer."

"Yeah, well, it's not like I can escape now..." I grumble walking in the pub. The wooden counter shines to my right and stools are upholstered in red leather, there're several tables and chairs near the windows and another big area at the back of the pub with more tables and benches, two old phone booths and a stage in a corner... The metal door must lead to the kitchen and the floor is covered with old tiles in brown and beige colours creating a lozenge pattern. Jasmine is standing behind the counter, smiling and waving her hand, a beautiful wooden shelf behind her displays an amazing collection of bottles of whiskey, I've never seen something like that before and didn't even know there were so many brands of liquor, Tiffany's lamps full of bright colours match the glass door of a cabinet and there's an old clock above the old cash register.