TWENTY-THREE (ISELEN POV)

"You've been very good today, Nessa, you didn't even cry when the priest poured cold water over your head... I'm impressed..." My goddaughter looks at me with her big blueish eyes and smiles while I rock her against my chest. "You're a good girl... You didn't get that from your mother..."

"Hey!" Adara growls offended sat next to me but keeps eating her piece of chocolate cake and can't answer me the way she'd like to.

"Trust your godmother, sweetheart, your mom is very noisy: when she eats, when she drinks too much, when she's sleeping and snores, when she sings in the shower... I know it, I've lived with her."

"That's why it's better if you follow the example of your cousin Ruby Rose..." My girlfriend leans over my shoulder to look at the baby who's shaking her tiny hands trying to catch the long necklace hanging from my neck and she winks at her. "You'll be pretty, smart and will know how to kick asses to fight back."

"I like that," Owen raises her glass of champagne and takes a sip while his daughter seems to think about it for a second and nods, eating her cake again.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Kelly, the head waiter wants to know if he should keep opening bottles of champagne or it's time to switch to whiskey..." Kiara gets closer walking with the grace of a gazelle on her high heels, the grey dress embellished with black lace she's wearing is really elegant and suddenly I feel that my red dress is too flashy to attend the christening of a baby that will be one of the most important heiresses of this city one day. Several journalists were waiting outside the church and they managed to take some pics despite the security guards Owen hired were trying to push them away from us so it's too late to change my clothes: I'll be the godmother dressed in red for the eternity.

"I think people are enjoying the party and whiskey will improve the mood even more." Owen smiles at his personal assistant before frowning. "Have they followed my instructions?"

"Bottles of Redbreast 15-year are for the guest tables and bottles of Red Breast 21-year Single Pot Still for the head table..."

"Wow, that's a hell of a good whiskey..." Ruby whispers surprised while I put my goddaughter back in her trolley carefully and tuck her in so she can take a nap, she was falling asleep in my arms ignoring the noise in the restaurant.

"Only the best for my family and friends... I'm going to check that everything is all right." Owen gets up and walks towards the bar counter followed closely by the pretty blonde woman, some guests talk to him and he stops to greet them. Everybody is having fun even if they were a little sceptical at first, at least the Irish group was: my friends included, also some relatives of Adara, our bodyguards and other important members of the Company. I'm pretty sure they'd prefer to go to a traditional Irish pub and this French restaurant, with the tables covered with spotless while tablecloths, caramel coloured leather chairs, white orchids in tall glass vases and modern art works hanging on the walls, made them feel a bit insecure. On the contrary, Owen's business partners, Wall Street big shots, some politicians and other city authorities, were really happy eating caviar and oysters, tuna fish and crab, while Glenna and Moina stared at them bewildered and ordered a beef tenderloin with red wine sauce.

"Did they really sign the documents without complaining?" Ruby asks quietly but obviously perplexed and Adara nods but remains silent while the waiter pours my girlfriend a glass of whiskey and puts the bottle on the table in front of her before leaving discreetly.

"Yes, Robert's parents have given up all rights over Nessa, in fact, they've hinted that they don't believe she's her daughter although they didn't dare to say that clearly to my father's lawyers' faces. I guess they think I'm a tramp because my ancestors didn't come here on the Mayflower like their elders did. Anyway... I feel relieved, to be honest, I'll be able to raise my daughter without her grandparents' interference, she'll have everything she wants and will be happy, she doesn't need money or contacts from that stupid family full of stuck-up assholes."