Seventeen

Cover art by Daniel Adesanya

"Tilewa."

She cringed. Not necessarily at the sound of her name but at the voice of the person who called her. Looking up from her computer, she watched Ekene's looming figure as he sauntered up to her. She tried to decipher what emotions he was shielding behind his eyes, but he tactfully kept them hidden.

Tilewa gulped, not knowing what to expect. After her talk with Sinclair, she had decided to take time to herself to clear her head and think about her relationship with Ekene. She couldn't figure that out for herself; how could she help him understand something she didn't have a single clue about? Ghosting him had been the easiest thing to do. Now a full week had gone by and there he was, standing in her office, demanding answers that she could not give.

"I'm sorry, it was not my intention to freeze you out or anything, it just kind of happened."

"How about you tell me why you chose to ignore me for a full week? You know, it took me a while to realize what this was about. Heck, I'm still confused, so please, enlighten me. Make me understand."

Tilewa gave a weak shrug.

"Are you kidding me?" An exasperated Ekene said, letting out a sardonic laugh. "You iced me out for a week and all you can do is shrug, like it's nothing? Like I'm nothing?"
Tilewa opened her mouth but no distinct words came out as she fumbled for what to say.

Ekene shot her a look as if to say 'go on'.

"I'm sorry." She cleared her throat, embarrassed by the awkward situation.

He took a sit on the chair opposite hers and rested his chin on his palms, staring straight into her eyes.

"Why?"

She took a deep breath; it was now or never.

"Look, with after what happened the other night, I cannot deny the fact that we're attracted to each other, but I need you to understand that I'm not ready to explore this..."

He rolled his eyes. "That is all? That is why you ghosted me for days?"

Tilewa nodded weakly.

"Are you kidding me right now?" Ekene asked with a palm to his face. "Is that what you could not tell me all this time? That I had to come down here to find out if I did something wrong?"

Tilewa looked away abashedly.

"Look, we're both mature adults, next time you have something big on your chest, say it. I'm not a baby, I can handle it."

"I'm sorry, I just didn't want to break your heart or-"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down, nobody is talking heartbreak here. We made out once and that was all, it's not like I asked you out or anything, chill, ok?"

Tilewa sucked in her breath as the force of his words hit her like a dirty slap. He was right, but the enormity of the truth stung a lot. She did well to maintain her composure as she managed a stiff nod. "Okay."

Sighing, Ekene continued, "You just came out of a serious relationship, I get it. I went too fast and I'm sorry if I gave you a wrong idea or anything. I respect your decision and despite this road block, I hope we can still be friends."