Thirteen

Photo credit: Buhle Mbule

"Hey, girl," Tilewa said into her phone picking up a call from Eno later that day.

"Hey, sis. How are you?"

"I'm doing okay. You?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. What's up?"

"So, Uzo found a silver bracelet in her car and doesn't know who it belongs to. Could it be yours?"

Tilewa gave herself a mental face-palm.

Maria's bracelet. She had put it in Tilewa's custody during the church wedding because it kept hurting her wrist "It's Maria's. I must have dropped it off in Uzo's car during the ride to the reception," she finished with a small laugh.

"Okay, I'll tell her."

"Wait, why didn't Uzo just call me herself?"

Eno chuckled. "She said she's mad at you"

"Ahahn, what did I do this time?"

"You chose Ekene over her on Saturday to give you a ride home."

"What did she expect? The guy came all the way just because of me. Besides, I was not even in the mood for anything other than silence and you know Uzo."

"Hmm... you and your Ekene. I'm still shocked you didn't tell anyone of us about him," Eno veered.

"Forgive me, girl, I have been preoccupied with all this Jerry wahala. He's just a new friend, nothing major."

"New friend kwa? Girl that guy could not take his eyes off you throughout Saturday."

Tilewa scoffed. "Eno, you almost sound like Sinclair. Please, stop."

"I kid you not, he had his complete attention on you the entire evening. Why do you think Uzo was so quiet?"

"Wait, I'm confused now, why was Uzo quiet sef? I was just confused as I was watching her."

"Ahan, Tilewa, you don't know Uzo?"

"I'm lost o."

"Whenever she fancies a guy, she likes to play that calm and quiet card to draw his attention. Unfortunately, Ekene did not even notice her until you called her that time, that's why she got angry. You now made matters worse by rejecting her offer to drive you home."

"Did Uzo tell you this?" Tilewa asked incredulously.

"No, she didn't have to. It was written all over her."

The mention of her friend liking her man --and he was not even her man in the first place-- set her stomach churning in a way she could not understand. It took her a while to realize that it was jealousy.