Nine

Art by mellycoco__

Recommended song for your playlist- 'Know You' by Ladipoe and Simi

Tilewa craned her neck and checked her desktop clock, it was just 11 am and she was already tired of the work that lay before her, the glare of the computer screen mixed with the white florescent lights in her office, worsened the situation as her eyes stung from working.

She checked her phone and saw a message notification from Ekene "Hey" it said, ignoring other messages piled in her notification bar, she clicked on his and replied with the speed of light.

Tilewa: Hey. How are you?

Ekene: I'm bored out of my mind at work😭😭😭 You?

Tilewa: Same, I'm so stressed😩

Ekene: Have you ever been paintballing?

Tilewa: Not at all... why?🧐

Ekene: I was invited to this paintball thing and I'd for you to come with.

Tilewa: Cool. When is it?

Ekene: On Saturday

Tilewa: This weekend??

Ekene: Yeah

Tilewa: I can't make it... sorry😔

Ekene: You have plans?

Tilewa: Yeah, a wedding ceremony.

Ekene: Ok. How about lunch later today?

Tilewa: Is 2 pm a good time? I need to clear my table.

Ekene: Sure. Let's meet at the café near your office.

And with that said, she returned to the task she had just disregarded with renewed vigour.

***

Tilewa cringed as she opened the door to the modernist café and the bell chimed above ahead, instantly drawing the attention of the patrons within.

The café was filled with potted plants at every corner of the room, while all the table and countertops were marble grey while the chairs, stools and other fixtures were a caramel shade of brown with transparent doors and walls that gave a clear view of the outside world which gave it a modern tree-house vibe.

Ekene waved from the barstool he was perched on at the counter, a plate of salad lay half-eaten in front of him.

"Can I take your order?" a bi-racial girl with braces and a wide smile asked Tilewa as she sat beside Ekene at the counter.

"Uhm, chicken, lettuce and tomatoes sandwich with chocolate cake and a milkshake"

The girl nodded as she typed the order into a tablet she had in hand "Your meal will be ready in 10 minutes," she said and bounced off.

"Such horrendous appetite," Ekene joked.

"Shut up. It's called stress eating"

"What's up?" he asked with concern.

Tilewa shook her head, she barely knew this man, yet she had burdened him with so many of her problems within the short time she knew him and it was just not right.

"Nothing, let's talk about you," she said, looking him in the eye.

His response was a slow, full-toothed smile.