Sixteen

Cover art by Jaydara🤩💀
(I just got Wattpad dark mode, so I decided to let my banner correspond)

RRP: Happier by Ed Sheeran

Tilewa walked into her office an hour late the next morning. Before she could even put her bag on the table, Sinclair burst out of her office in a frenzy, speaking 300 words per second and sounding like a jumbled mess of baby talk.

"Sinclair, calm down!" Tilewa took a hold of both her arms which had been gesticulating wildly and pinned them to her sides, shaking her in the process.

Sinclair paused.

"Take a deep breath," Tilewa said.

She did as she was instructed.

"Take another."

Another deep breath.

"Good. Now, gently use your words."

"I was so worried."

"About what?"

"You! I came into the office and I didn't see you at your desk, at first I thought maybe you were stuck in traffic, then even after an hour, you were a no-show and I started to get worried. Maybe something had happened to you or you had been kidnapped or that woman in your neighbourhood who you said usually gives you the stink eye-"

"Wait, what exactly did you think the woman did to me?" Tilewa cut her short causing Sinclair to shrug in her arms. Iya Tao, the lady who sold provisions down the street from her house had become a lot more cordial to her in recent times and it had been a while since she complained about the woman to her boss. "I don't know! I was just worried sick. I already called your sister to ask if she's heard from you in the past 24 hours... wait I better go call her that you're here," Sinclair said, breaking out of Tilewa's grasp and heading for her office to get her phone.

Tilewa instantly reached into her handbag and checked her phone for notifications. There were no missed calls or messages and there was nothing wrong with her network reception.

"Around what time did you call my line?" she asked as she set foot in her boss' office.

Sinclair was at her desk; phone pressed to her ear and holding a finger up indicating for her to pause.

"Don't worry, she just stepped in. Thanks a lot. Okay, okay, sure. Bye-bye," Sinclair said, hanging up. "What did you say?" she said, facing her assistant.

"I asked for the time you called my line. There are no missed calls or messages and my phone has been on all morning."

"Oh, I didn't bother to call," Sinclair said, flippantly.

"What?" Tilewa asked, completely befuddled. "You didn't bother to call my line to see whether I was still alive, but you could call my pregnant sister?"

Sinclair winced. "When you put it that way, you make it seem like it was a bad call."

"That's because it was! You should have called me first! Maria is pregnant for crying out loud, you should know better than to alarm her without due cause!"

"Understand me here. You usually get to work before resumption time and when I came in and didn't see you, at first, I thought you were running late, but, Tilewa you're a creature of habit, if you are ever running late you always send a text ahead and when I didn't see your text after an hour, I panicked. I was just about to call the police when you showed up."

"You're joking."

"I'm not kidding, you had me worried and I'll admit, switching straight to panic mode was not my best call. I apologize, but you have to understand, I was scared!"